Forums

Full Version: "D-Day" +69 years
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

CaptO

So yesterday was the anniversary of the Normandy Overlord landings. I'm glad to see there was a fair amount of coverage on the online news sources. Perhaps not as much as Michael Jackson's daughter (had to hear about that on the Limbaugh show - I didn't even know who it was), but still it was there. Time has a way of blunting our desire to remember things and I'm afraid that will happen soon for WWII - if we're not there already. For example, Civil War remembrances happen maybe once a year for Gettysburg, but that's about it. I'm sure that there were many observances for the Mexican-American War or Spanish-American War, too (Remember the Maine, anyone?) Now those conflicts where Americans fought and died are mostly forgotten. Currently there are WWII vets amongst us, but that will not always be the case. It just makes me worried. How many people in America know who won this or that "reality" TV event but have no idea what this D-Day thing is all about. Somethin' about some war or somethin', right? I'm not even asking people to know anything about the Mediterranean theater or anything crazy like that! Or that there were more than 2 battles with the Japanese (if they could name that many). It just makes me wonder what the hell people are learning in 12 years of history instead of formative moments in US history and transformative events in world history. I choose, here, not to speculate.

ww2-100.jpg

ww2-98.jpg

ww2-99.jpg

Thanks for posting that. Got hung up on things on my end, and before I knew it, Normandy D-Day came and went. Sigh! Yes, I saw a fair amount of coverage too, and was glad to see that.

YA, it will be up to sites like ours, to keep the fires going. If it were not for the internet, think of how things might be. It would be far worse...

Funny thing about that last, famous picture of the guys leaving the landing craft. On the right side of the deck is a reel of wire. As a comm guy, I know how much they weigh. I'm sure some private was given that and told it was very important. He then looked at what was going on to his front and said, "@#$%! this!!"

YA, exactly, $%@^@^@%$ this s--t! That's what would have come out of my mouth!