Forums

Full Version: Garth E. Howard, TEC4 - 1051st Engineer Const Group
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Posting this for someone who contacted me about a week ago...

Hi,

My name is Heather Stewart, and I am working on research on my grandfather's service in WWII. Unfortunately, his records were destroyed by fire in St. Louis. Unfortunately, my family cannot be a source of much information on his service and circumstance of his passing.

His name was Garth E. Howard, TEC4, Service #37543941. Apparently he was assigned to the 1050th Engineer Construction and Repair Group, and died Nov. 26, 1943. He is interred in the U.S. military cemetery at Nettuno, Italy.

He was a resident of northwest Iowa, but enlisted or was drafted into service at a station in Minnesota. He was a farm kid, just 19-20 years old at the time he joined the Army. I wonder if it was because of his experience with equipment that he was assigned to the Engineers. I do know he was sent to training at Fort Screven, at Tybee Island, Georgia in the summer of 1942, before being sent to the European theater.

I believe that he spent a short period of time in France before August 1943, before his death in Italy in late November 1943.

I cannot find any information about the 1050th, and what type of work they were specifically doing, and the circumstances of his passing. I wonder if the 1050th was actually part of another group, and if you have any information on that. Also, do you have any other suggestions on how I might be able to find more information?

His passing was quite traumatic to my grandmother who was widowed at age 21 with a newborn daughter at the time. While she kept many momentos of him, the oral history of his service and his passing was never spoken about, mainly because her 2nd husband was extremely jealous of her posthumous affections and memories of her 1st husband, my grandfather. A tragic loss, really.

I would truly appreciate your help in piecing together whatever information can be found to paint a more complete picture.

With hopes to hear from you,

Heather Stewart

There seems to be a mistake with the unit number, there is no 1050th listed any where.

The 1051st Engineer Port Construction & Repair Group is the first of the numbered groups that was formed at Fort Screven, at Tybee Island in 1943. The 1051st was in Sicily prior to going to Naples in October 1943 to repair the port there. The The 1051st Engineer Port Construction & Repair Group was the only port repair group in the Italian Theater. They would have been at the Port of Naples in November 1943.

i`ll do some more searching tomorow.

Ah, that explains why I had not heard of them either. I did a really quick Google perusal (it was during the football games), and there was nothing. I thought it odd that it turned up ZILCH!

Thanks Larry! Happy New Year!

Heather, like many others whom I've encountered, many are mistaken that NARA in St Louis is the only place you can obtain discharge papers; this is not true. One of the best places to obtain a copy is his home state's Veteran's Administration. Simply use this link and click on the appropriate link.

http://www2.va.gov/d...center_flsh.asp

This is where I obtained a copy of my father's records. Since you are a granddaughter, you can also do this.

Addendum...

Looks like he was from Minnesota - http://www.mdva.state.mn.us/WWIIMemorial/MinnesotaWWIIKIALetterH.htm

so here's the direct link:

http://www2.va.gov/d...ate=MN&dnum=ALL

Marion,

I decided it was time to update the Siegburg site but thought I would take a quick look at what you had been up to. This is truly amazing - the work you have done!!! and over so many years!!! You are a blessing to mankind!!!

Thank you,

Jean J

If you go to the American Battle monuments Commision website http://www.abmc.gov/home.php, and do a search for Howard Garth E

the memorial does say 1050th Engineer Construction & Repair Gp. But if you go to the unit search, there are no results for 1050, when you do a unit search for 1051, his name and unit comes up there so there is a typo on his memorial.

The correct unit name is 1051st Engineer Port Construction and Repair Group. ABMC omits the word Port.

To contact AMBC:

1.You may e-mail: info@abmc.gov

2.You may write to:

American Battle Monuments Commission

Courthouse Plaza II, Suite 500

2300 Clarendon Boulevard

Arlington, VA 22201

3. You may call: (703) 696-6900

Unit Records for the 1051st Engineer Port Construction and Repair Group will be found at the National Archives in College Park, MD. There are also copies at the Eisenhower Library.

If Heather wants the details of his death, she needs to obtain his I.D.P.F. , Individual Deceaced Personel File.

Requesting an IDPF

Write a letter addressed to:

US Army

Human Resources Command

Attn: AHRC-PAO(FOIA), Room 7S65

200 Stovall Street

Alexandria, VA 22331-0400

Include the text:

Pursuant to the Freedom of Information Act, I hereby make a request for the Individual Deceased Personnel File for (Enter the name of the serviceman or woman). (Enter the name) died or was killed-in-action while serving in the military during (Enter the name of the War).

Provide as much of the following information as is known:

•Full name

•Military service (serial) number

•Division, unit information

•Date and place of birth

•Date and place of death

•Branch of the service

•Relationship to the deceased

There are many mentions of the 1051st in the book, Corps of Enginners, The War Against Germany, pages 152, 169, 233-234, 236-237.

Marion,

I decided it was time to update the Siegburg site but thought I would take a quick look at what you had been up to. This is truly amazing - the work you have done!!! and over so many years!!! You are a blessing to mankind!!!

Thank you,

Jean J

Gee Jean, thanks so much for your post. I certainly appreciate being appreciated. :wave::pdt34:

I realize how much folks did for me when I was starting out, and now it's my turn to do the same. As mom used to say, one hand washes the other.

What a shame they got his unit wrong on his grave marker, but as Larry stated, you can write to them to rectify this. Thanks for all your input, Larry.

Pages: 1 2