Forums

Full Version: Introduction
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hello!

I am currently reserching the 24th Armored Engineer Battalion, part of the 4th Armored Division. I draw my interest in Army engineers from that. I run a website, you can visit us at; 24engineers.blogspot.com. The content will gradually become more interesting as I get the site up and running, I admit that the "duties of armored engineers" is not the most exciting thing to read!

My grandfather was a combat engineer during the Korean War. I hope to learn, and contribute a little of what I have learned.

Regards,

24th Arm'd Engr. Bn.

http://24engineers.blogspot.com/p/ab.html?m=0

Happy New Year and welcome to our forum. We appreciate your membership.

Trust me, I (we) find nothing boring about anything related to engineers. :pdt12: :pdt12:

I am checking out your site this afternoon...

Ah, had to quote the home page from your site! :pdt12:

In December of 2012, I took a trip to Abilene, Kansas to visit the Eisenhower Presidential Library. The purpose of my trip- to view records of the 24th Armored Engineer Battalion.

After the talk with the archivist, I open the box which is waiting for me on a cart. I put the "out" marker in the place the folder resides, and pull the folder out of the box. As I open the folder I see the words, "Headquarters 24th Armored Engineer Battalion." The papers are bound to the folder the exact way the commanding officer handed them in- this is the first time they have been opened since the war.

About two months before this, I purchased a large map that depicted the 4th Armored Divisions trek though Europe. I thought it was very cool because it had dates, and routes taken. At the bottom, it said "24th Arm'd Engr Bn.". I had never heard of them before, so I looked them up on the internet. I found nothing of any substance, nothing at all. I was bound to see who these men were. How can they be forgotten? Someone has to bring their story back to life.

When I get to the first report, I see a name and signature at the bottom. I read the name and see "commanding" as the title; I just found out who the C/O was. I write the name down with hast.

As I look through the records, which are all after-action reports, I can not believe what I see. I see enlisted men and officers earning dozens of Silver Star Medals and countless Bronze Star Medals. And plenty of men are getting Oak Leaf Clusters for such awards.

These men helped push the Germans from the vicinity of Normandy, fought their way though France, rushed to relieve Bastogne, crossed the Rhine and ripped onto the German Army's Fatherland, liberated a Nazi concentration camp, and fought their way into Czechoslovakia.

Join me in telling their story. One of sacrifice, heroism, and a willingness to do more than the job of an infantryman.

To these men, this site is dedicated.

WE WILL NEVER FORGET!

Thank you for your support. I'm glad you like the site. :pdt12:

I just finished up the next post, I will put it up on Friday. It will be a map of company dispositions on VE Day.