Forums

Full Version: Todd and I and? Where is everyone??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Gee, has anyone else here noticed that about the only real conversation anymore is between Christoph and Jean and Todd and I and Colin. Sure feels lonely around here.

So often I stop to check in, and most days the visitor/guest count at the bottom of the page doesn't rise above ten and unfortunately many times that number includes Bing and Google search engines. Seems this trend has been going on for months. I really MISS all the old bantering back and forth and it seems it's pretty much gone now.

It is great to see a continuing rise in new members, and that is very comforting. But I still miss the old days when conversation went back and forth for days and someone was always adding a humorous reply.

Maybe those days are simply gone for good and if so, I guess I will have to come to terms with that.

Love to all,

M1

I'm with you. There used to be a lot more chatter, but it seems a lot of people have drifted off. Come on people! I'm on a ship in the Pacific Ocean with a crappy data pipe and I can show up!! :cuss: Just kidding - I love you all! Just chat some more!!

Maybe you should take out an ad in WWII Magazine. . .

Ya, it's funny. The odd thing is, I see a lot of the people who used to hang here on Facebook, but they don't come here anymore. That's a real shame.

I do frequent facebook, but that's for general chitter-chatter. But to talk about WWII and VI Corps, etc., I find this more rewarding and much easier to get around. Even if there's a page (on Facebook) dedicated to a particular WWII group or unit, unless you get into a topic THAT day, it's too hard to come back a few days later and find that topic of discussion, for it's "moved on" to the bottom. At least on a regular forum, everything is divided into categories and topics of discussion, so if you want to jump on the band wagon later, or search for something, you can do that. Facebook is more for topic du jour.

Ya, wish we could get our regulars back, but I don't think it's gonna happen. I think they've abandoned us. :groan:

I know you were HALF joking, but if you can find time to post and reply while on duty on in the Pacific, then I think others can really find time to post now and then and touch base with us. Right now I'm thinking of changing the name of the forum to the Todd and Marion Show. :pdt12: :pdt12:

Oh, wanted to add a big thank you to you for hanging in there with me and keeping me company. It get's kind of tiring when I'm scrolling down the list of recent topics and seeing,

Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter...

Oh here's a very typical ACTIVE LIST, whenever I punch it up on a daily basis. Notice how many of the visitors are search engine bots!

post-2-0-83426700-1351956857_thumb.jpg

I wonder if it is'nt social media that has taken people from websites like yours Marion? I am the first to admit being on Facebook (but no other social media site) and vist there every day, just the same as I do here. I see no point in Twitter and other like sites. The people who are members here - even the inactive ones - were, I assume, bought here by an interest in WW2 and that is not as strong now as it was a decade ago. If you leave out the members, your website still performs an important function - see the number of visitors who just call in to look and maybe take imformaton, plus Bing and Google.

I understand fully what you say and I will carry on as an active member and try to increase my contributions. This website is important to me as a contact point with veterans, particularly of the Italian campaign and is No1 on my favourites list!

Todd, I and many others enjoy your contributions and thank you for making the effort from the Pacific.

Colin.

Colin, I know you are absolutely correct. I know that we have certainly lost people to Facebook and other social media sites. That's a fact. And another similar phenomena has also affected me lately. Let me explain...

With the advent of stores like Sam's Club, Walmart, and Meier Thrifty Acre, more and more people have stopped shopping at smaller venues or at least cut back on the frequency of their visits. Little mom and pop stores like ours (my husband and myself) are really suffering, and in fact, as of December 1st, our store which was built in 1889, will cease to exist.

While a number of factors have contributed to our closing, the building of a nearby Walmart had a huge affect on our store. Now I can't fault people for wanting to save money and to do what's best for their families. I completely understand; you gotta do what you gotta do. However, the very nature of stores like that one only forecast doom for the mom and pops. WE ARE GOING THE WAY OF THE DINOSAUR! It's just a social evolutionary fact. But it's oh so sad. I digress, but wanted to show a parallel effect on another real world event.

Let's get back to the forum...

And as much as I don't want to admit it, Facebook has really hurt the SOCIAL aspect of this forum. And Colin, I do realize this site still plays and important role as a historical hub and is very helpful to so many, and I take great comfort in that, but I still miss the old camaraderie. I miss all the jokes, the banter, the laughter and touching base with so many of my friends. It simply feels lonely.

Many times I will get up in the morning and want to share something, but then have second thoughts about it for I think, well, who will care, for most of the time I'm lucky if anyone replies at all. And I know it's not just me, for I see it happening to other folks too. Therefore I try even harder to reply, so they know they are simply not talking to thin air.

I can tell by the stats and see that "x" number of people are reading certain topics and that is comforting, but again, out of 1000 plus members, there is virtually no response. It's especially discouraging when I have exciting news such as being invited to speak at a certain function, or being cited in an article, and I eagerly want to share the news with people of "like-mind".

I'm sure everyone here has had times when they've experienced something joyful, such as getting that huge promotion at work. What's the first thing you want to do? Ya, share it with your closest friends and and family and celebrate. It's no fun if you have to keep it to yourself, and as of late, I'm beginning to feel like...If I can't share my VI Corps news with everyone here, then where? See what I mean, folks?

So I am especially grateful to people like Colin, and Todd, who keep the SOCIAL aspect of this forum going strong. It would be so very lonely without members and FRIENDS like you. :pdt: :pdt09: :pdt: We all need our social network to help us feel connected. :pdt12:

Hello!

I have not had a chance to read all of the entries above but I will.

I wish I had a way to award a Medal to a gentleman that has helped me so so much! He is absolutely fantastic! He is so generous with his time! And what a brain! Thank gosh you have this absolutely Outstanding Website and attracted Christoph to it! He is "off the charts" in all categories!!! There is not enough praise or ways for me to say THANK YOU to him! I am forever grateful to him!

Jean J

Jean, I'm sure Christoph will be absolutely delighted to hear you sing his praises and he absolutely deserves it. I too am grateful to have his research talents.

And speaking of talents, let us not forget our own Larry "SonofaMP", for his outstanding contributions to this site. Larry and Christoph are of "like-mind", and this site wouldn't be the same without either of them.

Marion,

I am so sorry to hear about the closing of your store. What a pity! And no less to have been started in 1889 - what history! All of the entire life spans of the people that were in the store or using the products were fortunate to benefit from the Store's existence. What a mess - progress and the existence of so many people!

My thoughts are with you!

Jean J

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6