Forums

Full Version: Russell E. Riemer - 235th Combat Engineer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Received this letter from Mark Reimer. I sent it to everyone on my 1108th Mailing List. Waiting to hear back from him. Hope he's made contact with some of the members...

Marion - good evening, I am writing in respect to my father, Russell E. Riemer. I located you webpage and the associated 1108th document that describes the progression of the 1108th through Italy during WWII. I found my father's name in the document (purple heart awarded). By comparing my father's enlisted record with the document, I am fairly confident that he was one of those injured on 1/8/44 during the shelling of the 235th in Mignano, Italy.; just 2-3 days before dad was being promoted to the rank of Sgt.

Capt. Thomas Thompson (KIA on 1/8/44) was my father's commander and friend.

My father sustained but survived severe injuries that nearly cost him his life. He was a Cpl. that provided medical support to the 235th according to his military records and our conversations.

My father passed away on April 4, 2008 in Loomis, CA (near Sacramento). My brother and I (along with our spouses and several of his grandchildren and great grandchildren) had dad's ashes (and mom's) buried at Ft. McPherson National Cemetery, NE on September 19th, 2012. This is where my dad had requested to be buried.

I am hoping you can assist me with two items:

First, I was hoping to make contact with relatives of Capt. Tommy Thompson. I am hoping that he may have had a child prior to entering service. My dad spoke quite highly of Capt. Thompson. I am also hopeful that there is information on where dad was in basic training (stateside).

Secondly. my wife and I hope to travel to Rome in Spring 2013. Cassino is a short drive from Rome and I plan to spend a day in the area where dad and thousands others bravely defended our country. I am hopeful that you can direct me to sites that can provide more info about the effort on or about 1/8/44 when dad was injured.

I will be registering on VI Corps of Engineers of WWII site as a family member.

Thank you for any insight you can provide.

Sincerely,

Mark A. Riemer, son of Cpl. Russell E. Riemer (deceased), 235th Combat Engineering Battalion, WWII

Mark: You may have already read the PDF file below, but...

This booklet discusses in length, the operations of the 48th and 235th. See this particular link, as it refers to actions taking place in January of 1944. This should give you a good idea of where he was at the time.

http://www.6thcorpsc... History001.pdf

The maps from those booklets should provide a great resource for you, during your trip to Italy.