Forums

Full Version: Fred L. Walker
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Received this email:

---------------

Hello,

My great grandfather was Fred L. Walker, commanding General of the 36th ID from Sept. 1941 to July 1944 (Italian Campaign, etc). Grandpa was asked to make a book of his detailed journal taken during this period. The book is titled, “From Texas To Romeâ€, A General’s Journal (Fred L. Walker). It was published by the Taylor Publishing Company. It may be a good addition to your collection.

Kind Regards,

Shane

“From Texas To Romeâ€, A General’s Journal (Fred L. Walker).

Published in 1969......it falls in the category of out-of-print books.

Amazon lists it as available from used book sellers at a price of $125.

I think I've heard of this book and maybe read quotes from it. Sounds like something I need in my library.

BTW, . . . . Lt-Colonel Fred L. Walker, Jr. was Maj-Gen. Walker's son. The son served in 1st Battalion of 143rd Infantry Regiment, 36th Infantry Division.

Steve

This was sent to me by Paul Hinkle.

--------------

1944 Change of Command 36th ID

When Gen. Walker stepped down he was replaced by a non-Texan. So they decided that the New General would be an honorary Texan! This title was passed on to all replacements. It wasn't long tell some one asked what are the other ones. "ornery Texans" we called them. Back in those days they were!

:pdt12: