Forums

Full Version: Sinking of the MS Wilhelm Gustloff 1945.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

colinhotham

To most people when thinking of major marine disasters the RMS Titanic always comes to mind. While watching a WWII documentary yesterday I learnt of a loss of life at sea that multiplies the Titanic tradegy 3 times over!

In late January 1945 this sinking has become a disaster that seems now to be little remembered. The biggest ever single loss of life at sea.

http://www.wilhelmgustloff.com/sinking.htm

Colin.

Incredible, and more incredible that I was unfamiliar with this story. Lee woke up a few minutes ago, and I said, "I bet you know about this." And of course he did.

So, so sad. Thanks for making me aware of this.

Yes it was unknown to me Marion too. Pleased to see you put it on FB as well.

It is a tragic story but what surprises me that you hadn't heard of it!! Perhaps its from being a U-boot/submarine freak. I had heard of it from U-boot.net or something - I don't quite remember. I do a lot of Wikipedia surfing so maybe it was there (for example, "List by death toll of ships sunk by submarines").

Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-H27992%2C_Lazarettschiff_%22Wilhelm_Gustloff%22_in_Danzig.jpg