Forums

Full Version: Question regarding todays engineers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

This was sent to me by Captain John Fallon, 36th Combat Engineer WWII

My Granddaughter's husband is an Army doctor in Afghanistan and he tells me that all the Army engineers that he sees are wearing SAPPER badges on their shoulder. Does anyone know if this is for all the Combat Engineers?

36 Engineers are rugged......John Fallon II. Capt. USA Ret.

Marion,

In reguards to the "sapper" tab. This is not awarded to all combat engineers. You must attend "sapper" school at Fort Lenard Wood. The school is approximatly 39 days long, depending on where you come in at during zero week. It used to be that you could go to sapper school but was not authorized to wear the tab. It was probably about 2 years ago that the tab was authorized for wear. Its about time the engineer corps was recognized for the "specialized" skills of well trained combat engineers. As the infintry has had the ranger tab to show their specially trained fighters. Hope that helps.

SSG Benjamin Joy

B Co. 113th Eng. Bn

Fob Merez Mosul, Iraq

"SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY"

Yes thanks Ben, I'm sure my WWII engineer buddy will be happy to hear your explanation.

I agree with your assessment regarding the special skills recognition and am glad to see the Corps re-evaluation.

BTW, did you ever get my package? I am not sure how well the mail system works between here and Iraq. Hopefully it has arrived and is not in pieces. :pdt12:

Take care and may God continue to look after you. -o-

Benjamin,

Your mention of Ft. Lenard Wood brought back old memories for me

I took Infantry and Engineer training at Lenard Wood, Mo. way back in 1951.

As I recall, Infantry training was quite severe especially when you have blisters on your feet from the marching and catching Plueresy while continuing with the training so that you wouldn't get sent back in the training and have to do it all over again.

As a young draftee and a young "snot", I was afraid to give up and leave my buddies by going to the hospital. So I weathered thru it and after 16 weeks of the "torture", I got 16 days leave and then went to Seattle for a boat ride to Japan and then to Korea.

Some of the guys I trained with, went over to Korea with me and only one went with me to the 430th Engineers.

Yes, Ft. Lenard Wood was where my Army life started and tried to prepare me for a year in the lovely land of the "Rising Sun".

Korea Jack

post-9-1127066849_thumb.jpg

Ben,

Here is a Graduation pix of me from Lenard Wood.

Korea Jack

post-9-1127067281_thumb.jpg