Forums

Full Version: The Unknown War
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

I thought for sure I had seen or heard about every TV series about the war. but wrong again. Yesterday while browsing Amazon.com with my $25.00 gift certificate already burning a hole in my pocket I stumbled on a soon to be released DVD set called "The Unknown War", featuring Burt Lancaster. This 29-episode series was produced jointly between the USA and The Soviet Union in 1970, apparently after the Commies complained that the fine BBC series The World At War had neglected to give the Eastern front battles a fair amount of coverage. Anyone who is a serious student of WWII history today would probably have to agree with them, but that's just the way East-West relations were during the Cold War. I have been inhaling every documentary about The Eastern front I could get my hands on for the last 5 or 6 years, because I want to learn everything I can about WWII, and because the battles between the Germans and the Soviets had a huge effect on the outcome of the war.

I started this post thinking I would just ask "Anybody remember this series?" but her I go again, so I'll stop. :blush:

you made me smile and laugh this morning. I love your enthusiasm!!!

Sounds like a good way to spend $25.00!

It sounds familiar. Will have to ask Lee about it.

Nope, nebber heard of that show. Come to think of it, i dont even remember anything of 1970..not even her name. :blush: Maybe they`ll bring back Rat Patrol, Combat, & Victory at Sea.

I received my set today. Have watched 2 episodes thus far and I am pleased overall. The combat footage is a little grainy by today's standards but makes up for it being mostly stuff I haven't seen before. It was all photographed by German and Russian Combat Cameramen and was produced by the USSR and the USA in 1978.

Ah, another great addition to your ever-growin' collection. YEAH!

Ah, another great addition to your ever-growin' collection. YEAH!

Actually I have thinned out my collection this Summer. Some that I had seen too many times I sold in our yard sales, and others I donated to a local Veteran's group along with some of my WWII magazines.

:woof: