Forums

Full Version: NARA IS NOT destroying records
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Ain't it always something? :banghead:

I guess the Internet will always be a conduit for the latest gossip and rumors, and most I just ignore, but felt this one deserved some attention from yours truly.

A few weeks ago I received a letter from someone saying they could not obtain their relatives unit records. They said NARA had stated it was part of a government dictate to clear space, etc. I couldn't believe it. Then I heard about it again, and...

Get this through your heads right now; NARA IS NOT DESTROYING RECORDS! The following is from a government site:

Is the National Archives and Records Administration destroying military personnel files?

They are not being destroyed. The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) preserves and protects the files because they are permanently valuable records that document the essential evidence of military service for veterans. However, there is a rumor circulating on the Internet that advises veterans to apply for their Official Military Personnel Files to save them from destruction. There is no truth to this "urban legend" being perpetuated on the Web.

End of story, plain and simple. Marion has spoken.

:ladynews:

That would sort of defeat the purpose of being the national "archives".

Ya, you are absolutely right, but we have to remember that many people do not possess common sense. If they did, then I wouldn't be posting this and you wouldn't be responding.

:P :P :o