Forums

Full Version: Small Leather Pouch.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

colinhotham

Does anyone recognise this? The RAF Museum suggests that it is a commercially produced item.

A friend in Alaska who's father served in the US Army during WWII found this leather pouch in a box of his effects after he died. He was in the UK prior to D-Day.

She has sent it to me to see if I can get it identified.

It is 4" wide by 3 1/2" deep and very thin. It has a metal frame fitted inside on the two sides and base.

As you see it also has a tongue securing it closed.

It is embossed with the Royal Air Force Crest.

Colin

post-867-1297420060_thumb.jpg

Too big for condoms. Sorry couldn't resist this morning. Blame the bad sense of humor on my cold. :frown::pdt12: Not buying that huh? :pdt20:

Only in bulk Marion and even the RAF would'nt have had such a luxury means of holding them in wartime??? :pdt12:

Colin.

PS.You'd have been good fun to go to war with M1. lol

Caryl-280ECB

Custom made billfold or cigarette wallet.

I am sending an inquiry to a British site right now. Will let you know when they reply.

I saw a similar item on ebay, although it has the emblem of the USAAF stenciled on the front instead of the RAF. The seller didn't know what purpose it had either. I would guess it was for small personal items like glasses, smokes and the like. I prefer the Crown Royal pouch myself.. :-)

Thank you all for your interest. I have sent this enqiry to many websites now, as well as the RAF Museum and The UK Imperial War Museum. The construction of the pouch is such that it must have had a special purpose I believe. It is so well made and finished that even after nearly 70 years it is still in first class condition.

Colin.

Yes, it could have been specifically made for someone too, and not a standard issue pouch. Whatever it may be and whatever purpose it served, it's a wonderful piece to have within her collection.

Received this a few minutes ago...

Good evening Marion,

You have a very nice souvenir from your father. (sorry he misunderstood - should be Nan's father)

As best as I can say, it is not military issue and therefore probably privately made.

My best guess would be that it is a tobacco pouch.

I am sorry that I cannot give you further information.

With best regards,

Ton Goemans

Check out my online store for Military Collectables

What a mystery this turned out to be! When I sent the pouch to Colin I thought it was something that was standard use in the RAF.

When we found dad's trunk you could tell it hadn't been opened in many years...... it was like opening a treasure chest. You can imagine how we felt - it was like going back in time. There were many items in the trunk like his uniform, letters, pictures, postcards, Hitler stamps, a push flash light, german bayonet, the little leather pouchand much more. There just has to be a reason for the little leather pouch to be in there. Dad was in the UK for quite awhile before D-Day. I'm sure they weren't selling sovenirs at that time!

So, if anyone can help us solve the mystery of the leather pouch that would be great!

Nancy :)

Pages: 1 2