Forums

Full Version: Snow storm Feb 2, 2011
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Well some areas got off easier than expected, though it's still bad everywhere in lower Michigan with very strong winds and extremely cold temps, but here in Alger, it's worse than we expected! They've upgraded our area from Warning to Blizzard this morning. And this being out in the country, it's bad!

Here's a photo taken at our house at 7:00 AM. I dared to open the front door of our house and stick the camera out for a very quick shot. Look at how it's blowing. You can't see the steps either.

If you don't have to go out, don't. You can bet people will be pulling up to the store to buy a POP! Come on people, use your heads!!!!

Blizzard warning remains in effect until 7 pm est this evening,

A blizzard warning remains in effect until 7 pm est this evening.

Impacts,

Slick and snow covered roads.

Near zero visibility at times in blowing and drifting snow resulting in hazardous driving conditions, especially along the lake huron shore line.

Wind chill readings as low as minus 10 degrees.

Hazardous weather,

An additional 3 to 5 inches of snow accumulation expected by this afternoon, with locally higher amounts possible.

Snowfall rates of 1 to 2 inches per hour possible.

Northeast winds increasing and gusting to 40 mph creating blowing and drifting snow.

Precautionary/preparedness actions,

A blizzard warning means severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. Falling and blowing snow with strong winds and poor visibilities are likely. This will lead to whiteout conditions, making travel extremely dangerous. Do not travel. If you must, have a winter survival kit with you. If you get stranded, stay with your vehicle.

post-2-1296649466_thumb.jpg

post-2-1296649495_thumb.jpg

Jesus Christ, I am happy there is no snow here (yet). Stay safe upthere Marion. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ... looks darn cold.

Couldn't really open the back door, so cracked it open about 5 inches, and stuck my hand out the door and tried to get a few initial pics of backyard.

Last night the side walk was clear to shed. It's really blowing and drifting. The one pic shows picnic table. ha-ha!

post-2-1296651566_thumb.jpg

post-2-1296651587_thumb.jpg

That's amazing Marion. We had a similar layer of snow and it disappeared in just 1,5 days. Water lveles rised very rapidly. Wind and snow is a very dangerous combination for traffic.

Wow! I went to work today in short sleeves! That's a hell of a lot of global warming you have dumped on your lawn!

Here's album I uploaded to facebook this morning. Enjoy!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=1003...p;id=1130506338

Went out this morning and started shoveling 10 in. snow front of house and now I'm staring in back. Snow is up to halfway of wheels on car,around 10 in. temp. 2 deg. above zero. Little hard on this 88+ dude.

Rocky, where are all those young 'uns in the neighborhood? I can't believe you are shoveling? If I were your neighbor, I would do it for you.

Lee and I are taking turns shoveling the store front today, but are not bothering with anything else. Doesn't make sense to even try because of the strong drifting. It's fruitless!

Caryl-280ECB

Is it wrong that I sit here in golf shirt and shorts? ::running and ducking::::

My mom and sister were on the phone with me until the wee hours of the morning. They're in Ohio where ice ruled, then rain, then wind brought down tree limbs, whole trees and powerlines.

They both have power still, but it's interesting and not steady.

My mom's house was just missed by a huge limb from a 50 year old maple tree. She's really glad she had the tree men out trimming last spring! She said she could hear LARGE trees popping and crashing all night in the surrounding area.

My sister's car was missed by the same limb that pounded the side of her house. No real damage done to the house. They aren't sure if the precious snow blower is OK. Her house is under many maple trees planted in the late 40s! :unsure:

She heard a crashing noise around 8 last night that shook the house. It was a 40s era sycamore tree that started coming down in rather large bits! This was two houses down. It spent all night collapsing.

I have friends in the Dayton area with no power.

We had a 15 minute pathetic thunderstorm and half an inch of rain. I didn't even shut the windows for that one. My US Flag took a beating though. Time for a new one today.

I am happy I don't have to sleep outside in these weather conditions. It's hard to imagine what those men have been through 66 years ago.

Pages: 1 2