Forums

Full Version: Rocking Chair money
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Does any one know anything about Rocking Chair money the guys received after they came home from overseas in WWll?

Thanks, Nancy

Nancy, I had never heard "rocking chair money" so I googled it (+ world war ii). I came up with a book about Rout 66 . The Google Books website gave a preview and I grabbed a sceen shot of it. It seemed to indicate it was a unofficial term for relocation money.

post-449-1294841464_thumb.gif

:14_1_107v:

I also have to say that I never heard of the "Rocking Chair Money" but

we did have a "Club" which most veterans joined.

We called it the 52-20/Club. Any veteran could sign up and get $20 per

week for 52 weeks and since many had a chore finding a job they joined the "Club".

If you just wanted a rest from the service or as in my case it was more than

the pre-service pay offerred me, I joined the "Club".

The State was the payor of the money

Thank you Todd and Sgt Leo for your help. My aunt keeps talking about the Rocking Chair money my Uncle got after he got out in 1945. They moved from Colorado to Alabama back then so that makes sense.

I remember my dad saying something years ago about the 52/20 Club Sgt, but shame on me for not paying attention. Until you mentioned it I'd forgotten all about it.....and only remember the 52/20 part of it. To tell you the truth I thought it was some kind of Mens Pub Club!

Thanks again,

Nancy

Harold Whiting says...

When ww2 vets got home they were to get 52 weeks @20 dollars from the state unemployment office you had to sign up each week and be avail for work even though there was not much work and you could not buy a car they just wasnt any . No new ones made during the war. so every body that had a car kept it. Ilived 10 miles from thetown that had mills. but they were not hiring so i signed op for 52-20 got five weeks 100 dolars then they asked do you have a car to get to work i said no so they stoped my checks. Then there was a hearing 50 miles away i did not go. no wheels . that would have been July of 1946 . another in 1952or 53 .Each soldier had a life insurence policy. .If you did not use it then you were to get a refund. Igot mine with it came a peice of paper saying you owed the gov 100 dollars that you got on 52 -20 deducted100 dollars . now this says the money did not come from the state it was gov.money hwhiting