Forums

Full Version: Carl Furtado in hospital
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Man, when it rains it pours. Another one of my buddies is in the hospital. Got this at midnight last night. Thank you Ted for getting in touch with me.

As many of you know, Carl is one of my "BESTEST" buddies in the world. Carl was one of the vets who attended the convention with me at Fort Hood last year. He is a great friend and a second father to me. Get well buddy, we still have a lot of partying to do!!!

:drinkin:

Dad has asked me to send you his best wishes for a wonderful holiday season and for a Happy New Year, along with his apologies that he will not be able to create, sign and send his personal card to you this year as usual.

Dad also asked me to let you know all that has transpired in the past week and that he is looking forward to seeing or talking with you very soon.

Here is the scoop:

· Dad underwent an open heart/triple by-pass operation yesterday, December 9th.

· All went extremely well yesterday and his recovery in the last 24 hours has amazed both his doctors & nurses alike.

For those of you who may or not know, Dad, like many people his age, has had mild symptoms of cardiovascular disease for the past year+, causing angina symptoms of tightness and sometimes pain in his chest. Until the past week, these symptoms have been successfully controlled by heart medications. For unknown reasons, early last week his “stable angina” became “unstable angina” and the meds were not working.

On Tuesday of this week, Dad underwent a cardiac cauterization procedure to examine the arteries to the heart and hopefully open the blocked artery or arteries with a stent(s). Unfortunately, the procedure showed that the locations and sizes of the blockages were too dangerous to attempt to use the stents. The only option left was surgery. He was then transferred immediately to the cardiac care floor of RI Hospital while we successfully scheduled an open heart/by-pass operation with the top cardiac surgeon in Rhode Island for Thursday.

I am happy to report that the successful surgery has shown Dad’s heart to be in great shape and it is now able to work properly. His doctors expect him to have a full recovery over the next 6 weeks or so. Hopefully our “energizer bunny” will be back to full speed sooner than later.

Dad will be in cardiac intensive care for the next couple of days and then in the step-down cardiac unit for another 4-5 days.

No visitors or calls for now, as rest is a big part of the recovery process, but I will send you an update next week regarding how he is doing.

If you have any questions, please e-mail me or give me a call anytime at (left off for privacy).

Pete, Don, Holly & I are incredibly thankful for Dad’s outstanding strength and courage through this past week.

He is a very special guy and we love him very much!

Best regards,

Ted

Carl, hope you are feeling better and get well soon! Stay rugged!

M-1,, Is Carl Furtado one of my people? If he is I know he will make it good. Feliz Navidad Carl. Roque Riojas.

Carl is my buddy from the 36th Engineers. He's one I see each year at the reunions, and also was at Fort Hood with me for four days. He's Rugged!

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/CarlFurtado.htm

GET WELL SOON CARL

Looking forward to meeting you again next September my friend. As the fellow owner of a 'triple' I wish you a speedy recovery.

Colin.

Thanks Colin: From someone who's met Carl, you know just how very special he is. I will forward your response to him.

M1 I know how much all your vets mean to you, but having met Carl I realise that he has a special place in your heart. Thank you for passing on my message.

Colin.

I do wish Mr. Furtado well.

And from all of the good things said about him, I'm sorry I've never met him!

All my best to him.

Am posting this here, all the way from IRAQ!

Carl,

Sorry to learn that you are going through a tough surgery.

On behalf of the 36th Engineer Brigade Soldiers all over the world ... we

wish for you a full and speedy recovery.

The entire team holds you in high esteem as one of our Rugged Veterans and

very much enjoyed your visit to Fort Hood last year.

We try everyday (here in Iraq) to live the legacy you and your fellow Rugged

Seahorse Soldiers established for us during WWII.

You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers!

Very Respectfully

Colonel Kent Savre

36th Engineer Brigade Commander

Balad, Iraq APO AE 09391

Stay Rugged!

post-2-1292270224_thumb.jpg

I have been remiss in not sending a note earlier to everyone with an update on Dad (I’ve started to get some anxious calls, emails & texts), but as you can imagine, it has been a hectic week.

Dad has very much appreciated the e-mails, cards and calls of support he has received from family and friends from around the country (actually the world … thank you Colonel for your email from Iraq, it meant so much to Dad!) and hopes to have the energy to start making some calls out next week.

Dad’s recovery is coming along well. One step forward every day and occasionally a half step backwards. He hurts like hell sometimes, but he is in generally good spirits. As he has stated several times, he is very appreciative of the fact that he is still with us! The nurses just love him and half want to be adopted (I keep telling them there is no money!) by him. His surgeon is telling him that his recovery is going great, but at 91, don’t rush it or expect the process to be completed soon.

The plan is for Dad to be released from the hospital Saturday and we will bring him home for the remaining 4-5 weeks of recovery. Nurse Ted & Nurse Don (Don will be staying at Dad’s at night) will be reinforced by Nurse Pete over the holidays (boy, will this be a letdown for him after flirting with all the young & pretty nurses for over a week!) and we will do our best along with the visiting nurses and physical therapists to get him back up to speed as soon as possible.

Thanks again for your all your support!

Best regards,

Ted

YEAH!!!!! My buddy will be home for Christmas!!!!! :clappin2:

:drinkin::theman:

Pages: 1 2