Forums

Full Version: Luxembourg Video
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

This video was received from John McAuliffe.

Here are my friends George Chekan and Earle Hart at the US Hamm cemetery and German cemetery Sandweiler in Luxembourg. Very few visited at Sandweiler on last day of our Tour. John

Luxembourg Video

I will be visiting the Hamm cemetery next week !

I'll send some pics .

:pdt34:

Was that from Luxembourg TV? Strange accent, I could hardly follow it. How about you Marion? :D

I have been aware for many years of the reconciliation between Americans and Germans. I was on my way to one such meeting in the Czech rep. when 9-11 happened. In Holland there is also discussion if we should include the Germans in our ceremonies. The majority is still not in favour of that and especially the former resistance don't want any of it. I do know that in some memorial services germans have been present incognito. I just read a story of a British vet on this subject. He wrote he was at a reunion in Belgium where there were also Germans present. Men he had fought against personally (well, his unit against their unit) 60 years ago. Not to offend his hosts he sat down with them and had a little chat, but then got up and refused to be photographed with him.

I think Americans have more distance between that and see it more as "we did our job, they did theirs. Now we are 60 years on and lets get on with it". Europeans in general have a harder time with it. I know a lot of British and Dutch veterans who would never shake hands with german soldiers. Some will of course. But they are a minority.

Not quite sure where the TV station was located and ya, I did have a bit of a problem following it. :lol::lol: Kept saying, "What? What?" :lol::lol:

Yes indeed it is a very touchy subject. I guess I can understand both points of view. When you see a German soldier and an American or English soldier shaking hands, I can't help but think that is wondeful. Yes it was a long time ago. But lord knows I could also understand how some men still carry the heartache and bitterness in their hearts. WE were not there and can't feel the depth of what they still harbor in mind, body and soul.

I do agree that Americans have more DISTANCE and maybe for a lot of them it is easier. We were not an occupied country and don't know what it was like to live under German occupation for years on end.

No easy answer or reconcilation on this subject. :(

Personally I think it is a good thing. I don't want to knock anybody's feeling. Like you said, we didn't live through the occupation and those times, but I think if they can be friends, why shouldn't at least my generations try and reconcile. I think it is because of the feelings of those still living that that remains difficult. Who knows. In effect, as nations we are very close now.

When I bought a signed painting of the two pilots, American Taylor and Japanese Abe, at Pearl Harbor for my husband for his birthday several years back, it came with a video depicting the events at Pearl Harbor and featured the two pilots who became friends and remain so to this day. It was a very touching video and so good to see these men who flew against each other back in 1941, shaking hands, smiling and exchanging kind words.

Many such friendships have developed between former enemies and I always think it heartwarming to see this occur. :heartpump:

This is No Drill - Painting by Kodera featuring Taylor and Abe

Zenji Abe - His story as told in WWII Magazine

Here is an article about the passing of Richard Fiske and the friendship between Abe and Fiske. If you've watched shows on Pearl Harbor that featured the men who were there, then you've undoubtably seen Richard interviewed countless times. Abe's plane was one of a group that bombed the ship the Richard was on that fateful morning.

Abe Honors Fiske