Forums

Full Version: This day in history
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

CaptO

I was re-reading an article about Salerno (we had talked about it before here and the first post is quoted below) and it mentioned the end of the Sicilian campaign was August 17th. Just thought I would bring it up and once again pay homage to those who fought through this and other campaigns in the oft-neglected Mediterranean Theater of Operations.

Friends,

This is a good article concerning lessons learned from the Salerno landings. It was written right after the war and published in the Marine Corps Gazette by Gen H. M. "Howlin' Mad" Smith. It's amazing to me how little the average Joe knows about the war in the Med during WWII. This article gives a clear indication how close this invasion came to failure in the days after the initial landings. Even the disastrous Operation Neptune landings (at least at Omaha Beach) were not in question after the first day. Three cheers to you who were there! You were not done any favors by the powers that be that planned these invasions. It was the fortitude and resourcefulness of the individual soldier/Marine that won the war. The more I learn about WWII, the more I am appalled by the decisions of the upper echelons of leadership.

develpment_amphib_tactics2.pdf

An excellent post today, my dear. Glad to see someone is paying attention to those little-mentioned dates in WWII. As we often mentioned on this forum; how many people out there actually knew there was a REAL war raging for almost two years in Europe before Normandy?

Funny when I talk to people they always ask, was your dad at Normandy? No, but he was there a long time before-hand, slugging it out against those nasty Nazis.

Thanks again.

M1

SALERNO--ANZIO--YEP SEEN 'EM BOTH first hand. lookin' fer nuts. After some time we found 'em but couldn't crack them so we send them back to the rear.

SALERNO--ANZIO--YEP SEEN 'EM BOTH first hand. lookin' fer nuts. After some time we found 'em but couldn't crack them so we send them back to the rear.

The only ones that really knew about No. Africa and Italy were, Ernie Pyle , Bill Mauldin, and Homer Ankrum..

The only ones that really knew about No. Africa and Italy were, Ernie Pyle , Bill Mauldin, and Homer Ankrum..

You mentioned Ernie Pyle and it reminded me about my upcoming trip. As some may recall, I have been trying to get to Okinawa for a work trip since March. Well, it has finally come to pass and I leave for the rock on Thursday. I would love to see Ie Shima where Ernie's luck ran out, but I don't know. I don't have a lot of time on island for site seeing, but will have the weekend (I return on the 28th). Hopefully I will be able to get out see the island and not be too jet lagged.

Safe trip. Can't wait to hear your thoughts and reactions after visiting the island.

Have a good trip Todd , I wish I could be there with you, holding your camera bag!!! I hope that you have wonderful weather !

Vee