Forums

Full Version: 60 years ago on this day
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

60 years ago, on this day of May 4 '45 at about 4 P.M. the lead company (L Co. 3rd

Bn. 7th Reg. 3rd Inf Div. under Lt. Sherm Pratt as C.O.) entered Berchtesgaden. About

the top prize capture in Germany by the U.S.. Almost no shots fired, after all the propaganda about it being the "redoubt area" and many S.S. troops for defence of it.

The town was captured and cleared this day. We realized this was probably the end of

WW2. in ETO. Next day May 5 the 101 A.B. Div came in. We were "requested" to leave on May 6 '45 .

Has anybody else visited the Eagles Nest? what an amazing day i spent there! :pdt34:

Bader: Yes I visited the Eagles Nest about 5 May '45 for the first and only time. My

hat goes off to the RAF for the good job they did about 10 days prior. I understand it was the RAF Lancasters. Made it a lot easier for us and also they had the good judgement not to damage Hitlers and Goerings wine cellars to much extent . The rest was pretty well destroyed. Good job well done. Enclosing a pic taken 60 years ago

on May 5 '45 of the 7th Inf Reg. raising the American flag over the Berghof.

post-11-1115319200_thumb.jpg

Been in Berchtesgaden two years ago !

Great views and great Alpes !

For the Eagle's nest nothing more than a touristic spot with a big canteen !!!!!

There are plans to take a section down to build a hotel!!!

I was there in Sept 2002 and the General Walker Hotel had been torn down to build a new "Resort Hotel". It appears that the state of Bavaria is cloking their desire to erase the history of the 3rd Reich with projects like this one. The let buildings of significant history deteriorate to the point where the only solution in their eyes is to demolish it.

I was there in Sept 2002 and the General Walker Hotel had been torn down to build a new "Resort Hotel". It appears that the state of Bavaria is cloking their desire to erase the history of the 3rd Reich with projects like this one. The let buildings of significant history deteriorate to the point where the only solution in their eyes is to demolish it.

That's true , as far as I know the Block is there already !

No history left , only blocks to keep the aria safe from ww2 spotters like you and me .

Same tactics : No gain , no fame , no one !