Forums

Full Version: Help needed on identifying this shell
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Frank Gubbels

To all.

Today a farmer was plowing the field and found an US tank shell in his plow. A friend of me who knows the farmer showed me the shell (pictures will be posted later this evening). We tried to identify the shell according to the information on the bottom but we would like to know in which type of tank they used these shells. Maybe it's a random shell but we really don't know.

Info about the shell:

Height: 54 cm

bottom: 9 cm

Top: 7.6 cm

Bottom info says:

76mm M26

SMC 28

Can you help us with this?

Regards,

Frank

2 pictures of the shell:

sl730546kleiner.jpg

sl730547kleiner.jpg

I shall ask my husband about it. He's knows a lot about this kind of stuff!

:armata_PDT_01:

I just asked Lee about this and he expressed the following:

This was very common but was used late in the war. Earlier they used the 75mm but later used a 76mm, which had a higher velocity.

A Sherman would have used this shell, as well as others, amongst them a Pershing.

I'm with Lee on this one. The newer 76mm guns were standard (I believe) on the M26 tanks.

Thank you for your information. I found out that the Pershing tank was used by the 3rd Armored Division (Spearhead) after the battle of the Bulge. They must have practiced here in the neighbourhood or so because we were liberated in September 1944.

If you have any additional information, please share it with us :). We will continue to search for more information too.

Thanks,

Frank

I forgot to add the information about a little circle with 2 little canons in it. It's about 3 mm large.

(Sorry)

Excellent! You're in good hands with Lee and Dogdaddy!

I know and I am really happy with them Marion.

I forgot to add the information about a little circle with 2 little canons in it. It's about 3 mm large.

(Sorry)

That's the Ordnance marking I think.

I have a shell of a (75 mm) Sherman found in the Ardennes which also has this marking.

Erwin

Pages: 1 2