Forums

Full Version: what is means to me...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

While I get many letters regarding our music site, this one really stood out. Jim and I have been in communication for a couple of months, and this one touched a note (so to speak). I also added it to the Letters section on that site.

Hi Marion....Jim here again....just listening to the song Land of Hope and Glory and I want to tell you what this means to me. First of all, the music is from Edgar's Pomp and Circumstance March...played at almost all graduation ceremonies.

MY story. I was born Feb 2 1926, my wife was born Jan 28, 1926, we were "roommates" in the nursery at Mercy Hospital here in Muskegon. Then we went through St. Mary's school together, starting to date seriously in 10th grade. We graduated June 10, 1944. I went directly into the army. Joined the 65th Division at Fort Shelby, Miss. in late Nov 44. They were all packed to go overseas. We left Shelby on New Years Eve and landed in France during the Bulge, had to stay after the war ended. I didn't have enough points to come home. Did come home in Jun 1946....2 years, 2 days and 2 hours was my stay. We were married on Nov 16, 1946. At that time the Catholic church wasn't encouraging the use of the "Wedding March", they thought it too pagan....because of the way it was used in the opera. So Theresa and I choose Pomp and Circumstance for our wedding march. After all, we had just marched to it 2 years before.St. Mary's High school choir sang our wedding. That was 64 years ago. She is now in a nursing home and I go every day to see her. So you see, Land of Hope and Glory is very special to us. Oh, there are many other songs on your list that mean a lot, but not like this one.

Thought you might like to hear what your music means to us WW11 vets.....God bless and keep up the good work. Jim Zuidema