Forums

Full Version: Never too late to remember - 36th Combat Eng
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

This gentleman posted in our guestbook the other day, to which I replied. He then sent me this letter in response. It's heartwarming to see how our site made a difference, and inspired a veteran and brought back long lost, unspoken memories.

I sent him a reply yesterday, and gave him the contact info for everyone on my 36th Engineer list. It's wonderful.

:clappin2:

------------

GUEST BOOK entry

Johnstown, PA

Please enter your comments:

My 85 year old Dad was in the 36th Combat Engineers, I Company during WWII (1943-1945) and is looking to connect with anyone who served with him.

---------------------

Follow-up letter:

Marion,

Thanks for the reply to my posting. Although my Dad's memory isn't as good as of late, after looking at your site he started to recall a number of details that he had not mentioned in years. When I posted that he was with the 36th Combat Engineers, I'm not sure if I put down that he was 3rd Battalion, I company. Reading him the day by day situation reports from your site was amazing. He remembered several incidents that were referenced during the Anzio time period. I am desperately trying to get several photos that my Dad sent to my aunt of his company after the capture of the infamous rail gun, Anzio Annie. He and several of his buddies are posed in front of the captured gun.

Do you know if there are any records breaking down the people who were in I company? I have numerous names that my Dad recalled and I'm hoping that the list will spark some old memories to come out.

Sincerely,

Vince Pankoke Jr.