Forums

Full Version: Questions about grandfathers discharge papers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Hello everyone, this site has been such a wealth of information for me in my research and I thank you for it. I come to you with a few more questions about my grandfathers discharge papers. Most of the questions are to do with the abbreviations in many of the sections. Here are the ones I'm stuck on:

1. ERC in Section 5

2. Abbreviations in Section 6

3. "Course C" in Section 31

Also...what insignias and such would a PFC in the Quatermaster Service be issued?

Thank you again for all your help in my research.

Dan

post-537-1262577797_thumb.jpg

Hi Dan:

You will probably be able to find all the answers to your questions in the research section:

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/eng...?showtopic=1335

Once there, scroll down to the post regarding discharge papers. Let me know if this helps you.

Hope your holidays were joyful!

Marion

:readingpaper:

From what I remember:-

Section 5. - ERC = Enlisted Reserve Corps

Section 6. - SCU (Working on this one) but guessing from your data it is a

Service Cooking Unit #1111

- ASFTC = Army Service Forces Training Conference

Course C - Probably the Range Designation at Devens

Will get you the Patch which should have been Services and Supply at that time

:armata_PDT_23:

This would have been the patch back then

WWIIServicesofSupply.jpg

On the SCU I am leaning towards the Service Command Unit(my best guess)

Top/Sgtleo

1. ERC in Section 5 - Enlisted Reserve Corps

2. Abbreviations in Section 6 = Headquarters Detachment, Service Command Unit #1111, Army Service Force Training Center

seeing that he was a cook, my best guess is he was stationed at a Training Center. The TC could also mean Transportation Corps, which was under the Army Service Force.

3. "Course C" in Section 31 = probably a specific or limited firing range training course.

You can read about the organization & role of the Army Service Force during WWII here: The Organization and Role of The Army Service Forces

This is the patch for the 1st Service Command, whose area was most of New England

post-304-1262740931_thumb.jpg

The patch TopSgt posted is the Army Service Command Patch, each of the 9 Service Commands had their own distictive patches

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

SonofaMP:-

Isn't what you wrote the same as I wrote except for the patch?

I used the generic patch absent any further data originally posted.

I knew he was from the 1st Corps Area when I saw his ASN but there

was no proof he trained in that Corps Area!! I was at Devens for some

time and didn't know of any Cook's School there.

Basically it was a Reception Area and Out Processing Area.

Headquarters Detachment Service Command Unit 1111 is correct.

I have the overseas cap of a Major who was in the 1473rd Service Command Unit (=SCU), Special Training Unit Detachment.

He taught GIs how to read and write so they weren't catagorized as 4F due to their lack of writing and reading abilities.

Every Army installation in the Z.I. had it own uniquely numbered SCU during WWII (they were known as Corps Area Service Units - CASU - before the Service Commands were established in 1941 to free the Corps for tactical duty overseas).

The second digit in an SCU number corresponds to the Service Command area where the SCU is located.

In this case 1111 is First Service Command.

Erwin

:armata_PDT_23:

Apparently my data re CASU wasn't 4.0

I was reaching back 64+ years in my memory and thus my data on the

ZI was/is not correct. Sorry 'bout that

Thank you all for the help, I'm sure I will have more questions to come.

Thanks to ALL who participated in this post, for each one had something to pass along to Dan. BRAVO!

:armata_PDT_37: