Forums

Full Version: Angatti
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

angatti

Hi to all,

My name is Andrea Gatti, I'm living in Scarperia a small village 30 km north from Florence Italy. My father Dino was enlisted in WW2 into the Royal Italian Army and fought in the Balkan area between Yugoslavia and Albania, my mother was born very close to the Riva Ridge, the area of 10th Mountain Division.

I find your web site in looking for information about the 169th Engineering Battalion who it first saw combat during the Allied Invasion of Italy in September 1944 and spent the winter 1944 in the North Apennines area.

I'm the president of "Gotica Toscana" a non-profit, non political, Italian military history association. Our goal is to record the History and the Memory of events during WWII.

We are located few kilometers from the Gothic Line in the Mount Altuzzo area. Our area is crossed by the famous Gothic Line, It is here that the Allied Army lost so many lives, a significant amount of their equipment, vehicles and a great deal of time. From the historic point of view, the Italian Campaign was a secondary front but for Italian people and for the soldiers involved the campaign was a tough and bitter struggle. Even today there are a considerable number of German, US and British positions and bunkers still to be seen. Our goal is to keep all WWII military sites accessible, this will enable us to take photographs, carry out historical research and arrange meetings with veterans and their families. It will also help us to keep records of the artifacts we have found including such items as Dog Tags identifying lost soldiers identities. From this background we are able to organise events like “A jump into History - An open air museum” and WWII vehicle rallies and meetings where we can remember and promote our history. Our association was created by collectors and historians to collate as much information as possible and share it with others, thereby stimulating further research and keeping alive the memories of our past.

The web site of the association is

www.goticatoscana.eu

Ciao Andrea:

So nice to have you as a member. It's great to have another Italian on board. I will write more later, but am busy putting music together for my documentary tonight, but wanted to say hi and extend a warm welcome.

Till later. We have much to talk about. Rocky will probably want to talk with you, for he WAS THERE.

Marion

Hello Andrea !! My name is Roque,(Rocky), Riojas, and I just read your

e/mail. Just a short,short. I was in the 1st Bn. 135th Inf. Regt. 34th,

"RED BULL" Divn. We went in at Salerno, Bennevento, Mt. Pantano

No. Appenines, Cassino, Anzio and ended at Brescia.

So nice that you joined our site. By the way, there is a monument

dedicated to the 34th Divn. there, I would like a picture of it if you

know where it is. Again welcome aboard and enjoy OUR COMPANY!!!!

Roque,(Rocky), Riojas. (Spanish name)

:clappin::clappin::clappin:

Angatti: -

Benvenuti nel nostro sito ed è bello avere un nuovo amico.

Molti dei miei vicini di casa sono da Abruzzo così dico ciao!

Top Sgt. :armata_PDT_37::armata_PDT_37:

Hi Angatti and welcome.

Do you know if there is an organisation like you mention, on WW2 in Sicily.

Colin.

Hello Andrea !! My name is Roque,(Rocky), Riojas, and I just read your

e/mail. Just a short,short. I was in the 1st Bn. 135th Inf. Regt. 34th,

"RED BULL" Divn. We went in at Salerno, Bennevento, Mt. Pantano

No. Appenines, Cassino, Anzio and ended at Brescia.

So nice that you joined our site. By the way, there is a monument

dedicated to the 34th Divn. there, I would like a picture of it if you

know where it is. Again welcome aboard and enjoy OUR COMPANY!!!!

Roque,(Rocky), Riojas. (Spanish name)

Hi Roque,

the monument of the 34th is not far from my village, It is inside the City House of Barberino di Mugello and the inauguration of a new monument is scheduled for the 20th of September. Now i'm leaving for holiday and I came back in two weeks, so I will send you the pictures of both not before that date.

regards

Andrea Gatti

Andrea--Is there a town of Barberino ?? The name is familiar, seems

like we were there. I will have to look at a map of Italy to make sure.

I. we, will be waiting to see pictures of the 34th Divn. monument. Rocky

We look forward to seeing your photos, and look forward to chatting with you. Safe trip!

Andrea--Is there a town of Barberino ?? The name is familiar, seems

like we were there. I will have to look at a map of Italy to make sure.

I. we, will be waiting to see pictures of the 34th Divn. monument. Rocky

Dear Rocky, finally I'm able to post something new. Ok, it is a bit later than expected, please excuse me. I post a picture of the plate located inside the Town Hall of Barberino di Mugello.

Barberino, yes is there, is on the Higway 65 leading to the Futa Pass.

There are also two more monuments in our area: the first one is dedicate to the 363rd Infantry Division and the second one dedicatet to the 338th Infantry Regiment, they are along the road tha lead to the Giogo Pass (Mnt. Altuzzo Battle). Andrea

post-892-1270068021_thumb.jpgpost-892-1270069162_thumb.jpg post-892-1270069186_thumb.jpg

My Dear Andrea--What a pleasant surprise this is. To see the Plaque of the 34th RED BULL Divn.

I wish I had a picture of the Plaque and where it is, so I could place it on the wall with my other mementos.

Barberino does ring a bell. I will have to look it up. Do you know where Mt. Pantano is?? So many things

I would like to ask but so little space. Maybe our FEARLESS LEADER the one AND ONLY--Marion--

can find a way to give you my e/m add. I don't want to write it in. So till later Andrea, a simple

THANK YOU will suffice for now. Roque,(Rocky), Riojas-1st. Bn. 135th Regt. 34th Red Bull Divn.

Pages: 1 2