Forums

Full Version: Rest in Peace - Darrell "Shifty" Powers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

I am always hesitant to print LETTERS I receive via email because it seems that nine times out of ten, they are MADE-UP. Indeed some of the facts may be real, such as the person and what he did in life, but the actual described events, well...

The person in question? Darrell "Shifty" Powers, 101st Airborne Division, 506 PIR, Co E. Many of you DO know him. Yup, he's the guy from BAND OF BROTHERS series. Easy Company. HE died last month, June 2009. He was a great G.I. Joe. A real good guy.

What was the letter about? Ya, you are probably curious. Well it goes on to tell the audience about Shifty and explains about his passing, and how "the author" met Shifty at an airport years ago. He then goes on to tell a story of their perchance meeting, and how he came to know and respect the man. The letter then goes on about "the author" offering to switch seats with the vet, since Shifty was in coach and he was in First Class. Shifty declines and says something along the lines, "No, son, you enjoy that seat. Just knowing that there are still some who remember what we did and still care is enough to make an old man very happy."

The remaining paragraphs describe how there was no media coverage of his passing, no weeping fans on TV, etc., etc.

As I stated, I cannot authenticate this letter, so will not print it. It tells a good tale, and makes some good points, but were the events true? They could be. But I've seen several such letters recently after the death of Michael Jackson. And they all have one theme; why no media coverage for our real heroes? Yes, we all know that it's true, but alas, that is how the world turns. . :armata_PDT_23:

However, I will post a note about Shifty, and maybe only a few hundred people will see it, but these are (you are) the kind of folks who do give a damn. So here's to Shifty. I loved watching his portrayal in Band of Brothers. Loved reading about him in books. He was someone you'd want next to you in a foxhole. Someone you'd call your brother. REST IN PEACE.

Shifty will be remembered, because of that HBO series, and many of the veterans reading this will be remembered because of this site, and sites just like it. But most will be forgotten, and that is a REAL SHAME. That is the bottom line...

I am always hesitant to print LETTERS I receive via email because it seems that nine times out of ten, they are MADE-UP. Indeed some of the facts may be real, such as the person and what he did in life, but the actual described events, well...

The person in question? Darrell "Shifty" Powers, 101st Airborne Division, 506 PIR, Co E. Many of you DO know him. Yup, he's the guy from BAND OF BROTHERS series. Easy Company. HE died last month, June 2009. He was a great G.I. Joe. A real good guy.

What was the letter about? Ya, you are probably curious. Well it goes on to tell the audience about Shifty and explains about his passing, and how "the author" met Shifty at an airport years ago. He then goes on to tell a story of their perchance meeting, and how he came to know and respect the man. The letter then goes on about "the author" offering to switch seats with the vet, since Shifty was in coach and he was in First Class. Shifty declines and says something along the lines, "No, son, you enjoy that seat. Just knowing that there are still some who remember what we did and still care is enough to make an old man very happy."

The remaining paragraphs describe how there was no media coverage of his passing, no weeping fans on TV, etc., etc.

As I stated, I cannot authenticate this letter, so will not print it. It tells a good tale, and makes some good points, but were the events true? They could be. But I've seen several such letters recently after the death of Michael Jackson. And they all have one theme; why no media coverage for our real heroes? Yes, we all know that it's true, but alas, that is how the world turns. . :armata_PDT_23:

However, I will post a note about Shifty, and maybe only a few hundred people will see it, but these are (you are) the kind of folks who do give a damn. So here's to Shifty. I loved watching his portrayal in Band of Brothers. Loved reading about him in books. He was someone you'd want next to you in a foxhole. Someone you'd call your brother. REST IN PEACE.

Shifty will be remembered, because of that HBO series, and many of the veterans reading this will be remembered because of this site, and sites just like it. But most will be forgotten, and that is a REAL SHAME. That is the bottom line...

I thought it was a true story because of the pics. I might be

wrong. rocky

I only received the letter, no pics were included.

I am not chastising you my dear, only commenting on authenticity. I am just leery about internet letters. Unless I see a name associated with it and can trace it back to an author. I don't want to get caught in the middle. Doesn't look very impressive for an historian. Know what I mean? :drinkin:

I thought you would appreciate my comments about remembering veterans. That is the bottom line.

Hugs,

M1

I only received the letter, no pics were included.

I am not chastising you my dear, only commenting on authenticity. I am just leery about internet letters. Unless I see a name associated with it and can trace it back to an author. I don't want to get caught in the middle. Doesn't look very impressive for an historian. Know what I mean? :drinkin:

I thought you would appreciate my comments about remembering veterans. That is the bottom line.

Hugs,

M1

There were two pics. One when he was in the service,(young)

the other just before he passed away. I know you watch

0ver us and I love it. hugs back atcha rocky :armata_PDT_23:

Yes, I do try and watch out for all of us. We try our best to keep our credibility. In that we must all play a part.

As for the photos, those can be gotten anywhere. I did retrieve the email and sure enough, two photos were there, but you can find those posted on any website and copy them. So you can see how that wouldn't authenticate it. :armata_PDT_01:

Case in point, I am accessing the internet right now and posting several photos of Shifty. Only took me a couple of minutes to do so.

Note the photo on the left (young Shifty Powers). Same as the one in the email. Hmmmm.....

http://www.valorstudios.com/Collectibles.htm

Here's an article from a newspaper. Again note said photo (older Shifty Powers). It was attached to that email:

http://www.tricities.com/tri/news/local/ar...ers_dies/25556/

Love ya,

M1

Yes, I do try and watch out for all of us. We try our best to keep our credibility. In that we must all play a part.

As for the photos, those can be gotten anywhere. I did retrieve the email and sure enough, two photos were there, but you can find those posted on any website and copy them. So you can see how that wouldn't authenticate it. :armata_PDT_01:

Case in point, I am accessing the internet right now and posting several photos of Shifty. Only took me a couple of minutes to do so.

Note the photo on the left (young Shifty Powers). Same as the one in the email. Hmmmm.....

http://www.valorstudios.com/Collectibles.htm

Here's an article from a newspaper. Again note said photo (older Shifty Powers). It was attached to that email:

http://www.tricities.com/tri/news/local/ar...ers_dies/25556/

Love ya,

M1

YEP, THOSE WERE THE TWO THAT WAS ON THE E/MAIL. rocky