Forums

Full Version: Beautiful letter to John McAuliffe - 87th Inf Div
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

My buddy John McAuliffe, received this letter. How heartwarming. :wub:

======

Dear Mr McAuliffe,

Today, Jan. 26th 2009, is the 64th anniversary of the liberation of my hometown, Huldange. As you know it was liberated by the 347th Inf. Rgt. of the 87th Inf. Div. and your unit was probably not far away from it.

With gratitude we remember what You and your buddies did for our ancestors back in 1945, while liberating them.

I guess you must have plenty of memories going back to that time these days.

How was your reenactment event which you visited last week?

best wishes and look forward to stay in touch

Dan

Its good that not everyone in Europe forgets the sacrifices made in freeing Europe in WW 2. Seems like many of them have short memories.

Its good that not everyone in Europe forgets the sacrifices made in freeing Europe in WW 2. Seems like many of them have short memories.

AMEN,JOE,AMEN Rocky

I believe I saw his signature on a truck in the Remember Museum in Thimister-Clermont once. Will try to find it on a picture as soon as possible.

Frank

Great! Thanks Frank. John has been to Europe numerous times and has taken part in many memorial services.

And here is the picture with his signature on a truck of the Red-Ball express.

Frank

dsc3478kleinerdl7.jpg

The truck

dsc3470kleinereu2.jpg

Signatures from veterans from a lot of different divisions. Sometimes some engineers Marion.

dsc3472kleinereh5.jpg

A lot of D-day veterans visited the museum. Entrance is free for every American!!!

dsc3479kleinerbq9.jpg

A signature on the door.

dsc3481kleinerrm2.jpg

The museum is from Marcel and Mathilde Schmetz (The M&M's as the Americans love to say :) ).

Here is a link to their website. It's a very nice museum to visit.

Remember Museum Thimister-Clermont

Some more names. With at least 1 engineer.

dsc3473kleinerzl9.jpg

Dear Vets I can only say that here in my area a lot of people still remember what you did for us and so long we have people like the one on this board it will never be forgotten. :14_2_108:

Sure is that the teens from today are not so well informed about the WWII due to a lack of education in school and at home today.

I'm happy to see that a fellow countrymen wrote that letter to Mr McAuliffe because Harlange is in the north of Luxembourg :26_14_1:

The truck is awesome and so are photos. Never saw anything like that before. Was a great way to preserve memories. :armata_PDT_37:

Pages: 1 2