Forums

Full Version: CZECH TOWN SAYS 'THANK YOU' IN 1945
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

This little booklet was created in 1945 by the people of PLZEN, CZECHOSLOVAKIA as a Thank You gift to the American Army soldiers who disarmed the last garrison of Nazi troops and liberated the city on May 6,1945. I wish I could show you all the pictures too, but the message they wrote sums it up best. The citizens of this town were not yet aware that their freedom was short lived, as their country was soon swallowed up by Stalin and would spend nearly the next 45 years under communist rule.

Dogdaddypost-150-1232923770_thumb.jpg post-150-1232923804_thumb.jpg

PS- I DIDN'T MENTION THE UNITS INVOLVED IN THIS BECAUSE NONE WERE MENTIONED, BUT THE INSIGNIA SHOWN ON AMERICAN UNIFORMS FEATURES A INDIAN CHIEF'S HEAD IN THE CENTER OF A LARGE RED STAR. I'M SURE ONE OF YOU CAN HELP ME OUT ON THE ID'ING.

THANKS!

post-150-1232923828_thumb.jpg

Sounds like the 2nd Infantry Division

post-304-1232937286_thumb.jpg

...the 2d moved 200 miles, 1-3 May, to positions along the GermanCzech border near Schonsee and Waldmunchen, and attacked in the general direction of Pilsen, reaching that city as the war in Europe ended.

Great post. But how sad they lost their precious freedom so quickly after being liberated. From the frying pan, into the fire.

colinhotham

How right you are M1. We tend to forget that the end of WWII in 1945 meant little to a lot of

opressed peoples. The wars and opression still go on!

Colin.

:tank:

Great post. But how sad they lost their precious freedom so quickly after being liberated. From the frying pan, into the fire.

Included in that group, all soldiers of the Red Army who had been captives of the Germans, for they were treated as traitors when the war ended. Many ended up in Soviet Gulags in Siberia and elsewhere if they were not executed by NKVD troops immediately. Another unfortunate group was Vlasov's Army, (otherwise known as "Army of the Damned") which was made up of former Soviet soldiers who had become German POWS but were given the opportunity to fight against Red Army soldiers who were loyal to Stalin . In the final week of the war in Europe they actually turned on the SS troops in Prague to save the people of that city from being killed by the Germans. General Vlasov was returned to Stalin and executed a few months later.

Dogdaddy :woof:

Sounds like the 2nd Infantry Division

post-304-1232937286_thumb.jpg

...the 2d moved 200 miles, 1-3 May, to positions along the GermanCzech border near Schonsee and Waldmunchen, and attacked in the general direction of Pilsen, reaching that city as the war in Europe ended.

Howdy Son O'-

Thanks for the info & picture. I just bought an original patch like the one shown that I will probably stick inside the book. Today I have been reading more about the liberation and it credits the 16th Armoured Div. with the liberation. I am guessing that the 2nd was attached to the 16th Armoured or vice-versa. Another item of note: Until the fall of Communism occured in 1989 the people of PLZEN were not allowed to celebrate the liberation by Americans as the Soviets took credit for the entire country's liberation! Today it is celebrated annually in May with US Veterans usually in attendance...the way it should be!

Thanks again,

Dogdaddy :woof: