Forums

Full Version: 116th Eng Battalion
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

A new friend of mine is looking for info on the 116th Engineers. To be honest, I haven't had much time to research right now, but would appreciate any assistance. Am still busy working on my new Engineer Photo Gallery...

Do you have any information on the 116th Eng battalion of WWII?

Regards,

Rob

Thanks,

M1

The 116th ECB was the organic engineers of the 41st Infantry Division, they fought in the pacific & later occupation duty in Japan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/41st_Infantry_Division_(United_States)

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/116en.htm

116th Engineer Regiment assigned 3 January 1930 to the 41st Division. Inducted into Federal service 16 September 1940 at home stations. Regiment broken up 17 February 1942 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows: Regiment (less 2d Battalion) as the 116th Engineer Battalion, an element of the 41st Infantry Division. (2d Battalion as the 1st Battalion, 133d Engineer Regiment, and relieved from assignment to the 41st Division - hereafter separate lineage).

116th Engineer Battalion redesignated 18 March 1943 as the 116th Engineer Combat Battalion. Inactivated 31 December 1945 in Japan. Relieved 17 June 1946 from assignment to the 41st Infantry Division. Converted, reorganized, and Federally recognized 13 March 1947 as the 3d Battalion, 183d Infantry, with Headquarters at Idaho Falls.

Converted and redesignated 12 September 1949 as the 116th Engineer Combat Battalion. Ordered into active Federal service 25 August 1950 at home stations. 116th Engineer Battalion [NGUS] organized and Federally recognized 5 January 1953 with Headquarters at Idaho Falls. Released 20 January 1955 from active Federal service and reverted to state control; Federal recognition concurrently withdrawn from the 116th Engineer Battalion (NGUS). Ordered into active Federal service 13 May 1968 at home stations; released 6 September 1969 from active Federal service and reverted to state control. Location of Headquarters changed 1 February 1977 to Lewiston.

Thanks again Larry, you've become my right-hand man! As things get busier for me on this end, I really come to rely on folks like you, here in the forum.

Many hugs,

M1