Forums

Full Version: Hello, New Guy Here!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Hello,

I'm Roy Queen, a new member of this forum. I thought that I would say hello, and introduce myself. Why am I here? I'm a former member of the 844th Engineer Battalion, USAR, and have a strong interest in anything relating to the US Army Corps of Engineers. My great uncle served in the 163rd Engineer Battalion in France and Germany, a distant cousin served in the 2nd Engineer Battalion and was KIA in Korea, and another cousin served in the 305th Engineer Battalion, and was KIA in France in October 1944.

I'm currently employed as a ranger for Georgia State Parks. I look forward to participating in the forums!

Welcome aboard, Roy and thanks for your service.

Brooke

A big, warm welcome to you, Roy. Sure is nice having another engineer amongst our members.

Here's to you, and to your family of engineers. I see you and they have served your country well.

I look forward to our chats. Looks like we'll have lots to talk about.

Essayons,

M1

Welcome aboard. As one who is interested in WWII, you'll find lots of great stuff here.

There's plenty of great people (from here and Europe) on the forum, too!

Roy; I will also add my WELCOME ABOARD, Enjoy this site. Kinda feels

like A BIG family. Just an old dogface,said it. Rocky WW11

Welcome aboard!!! Beautiful state Tenn. Been there lots of times and a real fan of BBQ.

Thank you for your kind words. I've spent the better part of last night reading over information posted on the main site, and I am just amazed by how much information has been posted on thet USCOE! It is ironic that at the park where I work, we work very closely with the civilian side of the Corps of Engineers.

When I was the Interpretive Ranger, I would communicate with the COE Rangers at the Lake Allatoona office for permission to hold black powder weapons demonstrations on the Allatoona Pass Civil War Battlefield. They have been great to work with on various projects.

Recently, I ordered a book titled "Building For Victory" It is about the 1875th Aviation Engineer Battalion in the China Burma India Theater. Is anyone familiar with this book? It hasn't arrived yet, and was curious as to whether or not it will be a good read.

Roy:

Great to read all this. Happy to hear they were always a pleasure to work with!

There is a great site dedicated to aviation engineers. My friend does a bang-up job, and you will find tons of info. Here ya go. His name is David Little.

http://www.ixengineercommand.com

Welcome aboard Roy, Thank You for your service. You`ve come to the right place for anything on the COE in WWII. If there is anything we can help you find, just ask! There is alot of info available on the 163rd & 305th CE.

163rd Combat Engineer Battalion was a part of the 1109th Engineer Combat Group, except for brief special assignments.

The Group was assigned to 1st Army from 12 Mar 1944 to 6 Aug 1944, to 3rd Army from 7 Aug 1944 to 28 Sep 1944, and to 7th Army from 29 Sep 1944 to July 1945.

The 305th CE was the division engineers of the 80th Infantry Div.

Thank you for the warm welcome, Larry! I do recall my great uncle telling me about buliding a pontoon bridge across the Rhine River at Worms, Germany, and later on, picking up an abandoned German rifle and going deer hunting to provide some venison for his comrades. At the time, I found this story interesting as at that time, I was using a German K98 Mauser rifle as a deer hunting rifle. I still have the rifle, and everytime I get it out of the rack, I think of Charlie and his hunting trip in Germany.

As far as research goes regarding the 305th, I've sent off to the Personnel Records Center in St. Louis for the records of a Captain Gordon Queen who was KIA serving in the 305th Engineer Battalion in France. I don't even know what company he was with, but hopefully the records will arrive shortly.

Pages: 1 2