Forums

Full Version: "Gunner " Harry Kenton, USMC, a remarkable story
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

James Pickering

A close friend of mine, Harry Kenton, now aged 91, has a great personal story relating to WW2.

HARRY A. KENTON, USMC, BRIEF BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH:

Harry A. Kenton was born in 1914 in Chicago and enlisted in the United States Marine Corps in 1934. After undergoing his initial training at Parris Island, he was assigned first to Haiti and then in 1935 to Tiensing, China, as a consular Guard.

hk03.jpg

Pvt. Harry A. Kenton, USMC -- 1934

The consular personnel were withdrawn due to the advancing Japanese Imperial army and he was transferred to Coascula, Balboa, in Panama.

hk04.jpg

Sgt. Harry A. Kenton, USMC -- 1939

Following Pearl Harbor now Sgt. Kenton was transfered to E. Company, 2nd Battalion, 8th Regiment, 1st. Marine Division and was assigned to Tutuila, Pago Pago (Pango Pango), Samoa in order to help train the Marine invasion force for Guadalcanal.

hk09.jpg

Sgt. Harry A. Kenton, USMC -- Samoa, 1942

They were shelled by Japanese submarines and had to prepare a defensive perimeter. During the Guadalcanal landing and fight in 1942 Sgt. Kenton contracted Mosquito borne elephantitis and was transferred to a field hospital. He spent much of the remainder of the war recovering in hospital.

At the end of WW2 now G/Sgt Kenton was assigned to Oahu, Hawaii, as a section NCOIC of small arms battlefield recovery and salvage. G/Sgt Kenton went on to serve in the Korean War and retired as a Chief Warrant Officer (Gunner) in 1957.

HARRY A. KENTON'S 1903 SPRINGFIELD RIFLE:

Private Harry Kenton, new USMC enlistee, was issued (as were all US Marines at that time) a 1903 Springfield rifle, serial number 1207769, on 10 April 1934.

hk01.jpg

Pvt. Harry A. Kenton, USMC -- original issue slip for 1903 Springfield rifle

SN 1207769, 10 April 1934

After the Guadalcanal operation in 1942 the US Marine Corps switched to the US Rifle, cal 30, M1 (Garand). Sgt Kenton (now in the hospital) had previously turned in his Springfield rifle. One day during his tenure as a section NCOIC of small arms battlefield recovery and salvage in Oahu, Hawaii, following the end of the war, a list of recovered rifle serial numbers -- mostly Garands, but including some 1903 Springfields -- came across his desk. Among them was 1903 Springfield rifle number 1207769 -- the very rifle he had been issued in 1934! He immediately sent a crew out to look for it -- and they found it! There was no record of its history during the war. He applied to the USMC for permission to purchase the rifle and was eventually allowed to for $25 (in 1954).

hk02.jpg

CWO Harry A. Kenton, USMC -- Receipt for purchase of 1903 Springfield rifle

SN1207769 from the USMC

The battered stock was reconditioned and it was eventually fitted with an inscription plate bearing his name and "Guadalcanal 1942" when he retired.

hk05.JPG

CWO Harry A. Kenton, USMC -- Inscription plate on 1903 Springfield rifle

SN1207769

hk06.JPG

CWO Harry A. Kenton, USMC -- Serial number on 1903 Springfield rifle

SN1207769

hk08.jpg

CWO Harry A. Kenton, USMC -- Retirement - 1957

It is now displayed on the wall of his house with a retrofitted bayonet and sling. I am sure there are not many veterans who own the actual rifle they were issued and carried in battle!

hk07.JPG

CWO Harry A. Kenton, USMC, Retired, -- Photo of the "Gunner" , aged 91, holding his 1903 Springfield rifle, SN 1207769 -- taken in his backyard by me on 30 March 2005

BTW, another remarkable thing about Gunner Kenton -- at the age of 91 he weighs the same as when he enlisted in the USMC in 1934 -- 140 lbs -- his service uniform still fits him perfectly!

Great story, great pictures. Thanks, James. Give the sergeant my best regards and thanks for service to his country. - Marilyn

Great story, great pictures. Thanks, James. Give the sergeant my best regards and thanks for service to his country. - Marilyn

Will do, Marilyn. Don't forget, in the Marine Corps, "Gunner" is a Warrant Officer and "Gunny" is a Gunnery Sergeant.

Duh, I stand corrected. But what is the difference? I confess I have never understood what a CWO is or what his duties are, either in today's army or in the marines and what a "Gunnery Sergeant" is. I only learned Army rank from WWII in this regard. Tis a mystery to me. Will you help me in this? I need to learn this before the new HBO series comes out, you know, The Pacific War. - Marilyn :unsure:

What a great, great story. I keep running across these kind of coincidences and it just blows my mind away. To actually get his same rifle. What were the odds?

When I came to his photo last night, the first words out of my mouth were, "Oh my he looks FANTASTIC for 91." He looks so young and healthy and fit.

I hope he is around with us for many more years. B)

What a great, great story.  I keep running across these kind of coincidences and it just blows my mind away.  To actually get his same rifle.  What were the odds?

When I came to his photo last night, the first words out of my mouth were, "Oh my he looks FANTASTIC for 91."  He looks so young and healthy and fit. 

I hope he is around with us for many more years.  B)

Thanks, Marion. The Gunner is remarkably bright, alert and fit for a man in his nineties -- and his mind is crystal clear.

He only eats small portions of healthy food -- very little white flour products, refined sugar and fatty or greasy food -- but, he loves a nightly glass of Glenlivet (neat) and an occasional Guinness with lunch!

Duh, I stand corrected. But what is the difference? I confess I have never understood what a CWO is or what his duties are, either in today's army or in the marines and what a "Gunnery Sergeant" is. I only learned Army rank from WWII in this regard. Tis a mystery to me. Will you help me in this? I need to learn this before the new HBO series comes out, you know, The Pacific War. - Marilyn  :unsure:

That is going to require an extensive response in order to do it justice, Marilyn. I will work on it today.

James

Duh, I stand corrected. But what is the difference? I confess I have never understood what a CWO is or what his duties are, either in today's army or in the marines and what a "Gunnery Sergeant" is. I only learned Army rank from WWII in this regard. Tis a mystery to me. Will you help me in this? I need to learn this before the new HBO series comes out, you know, The Pacific War. - Marilyn  :unsure:

That is going to require an extensive response in order to do it justice, Marilyn. I will work on it today.

James

You will have to do a good bit of reading and checking tabular depictions via the links, Marilyn, but I think you will enjoy it.

Here is the Google search result for WW2 US Military rank and insignia:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=ww2+u...G=Google+Search

And here are two links that include much background information and history -- and includes rank and insignia tabulations up to the present for the US Military:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theservices...a/rankchart.htm

http://www.easternct.edu/personal/faculty/...ocock/ranks.htm

Note: Enlisted pay grades E8 & E9 (the so called Super or Superintendent grades) and their insignia designations did not exist in the branches of the US Military during WW2.

FYI -- On Samoa, in preparation for the 1942 landing on Guadalcanal, Marine Corps units were equipped with the following small arms: .30 cal water-cooled machine guns, .30 cal Browning Automatic Rifles (BAR), .45 cal Thompson sub-machine guns, .30 cal M1903 Springfield rifles, .45 cal M1911A1 semi-automatic pistols.

Pages: 1 2