Forums

Full Version: Jack Lucas, MOH Recipient
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

My grandpa's Iwo Jima Vetran friend gave me his latest issue of Spearhead News to look at the reunion information and I found an ad for Indestructible, the book written by WWII's youngest MOH recipient Jack Lucas.

I called to order the book today and the lady on the phone told me he passed away this morning. :(

Brooke

Here is an article:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/06/05/...in4156551.shtml

Amazingly enough, Lucas isn't the only MOH recepient who survived being a grenade sponge. Duane E. Lucas smothered one during Korea and is still alive!

I can't imagine smothering a grenade and living to tell about it.

I've read Jack Lucas' book and he actually smothered 2 but one was a dud. Not only was I amazed by that feat, but he survived a parachute jump later on, without a parachute.

Oh how sad. So close to being able to speak with him, and then a fleeting moment later...

Hugs around to all, for you never know how long you will grace this earth. :love: Here's to Lucas! :drinkin:

Here is a note from my Aunt about Jack Lucas:

Chris--thought you might be interested in this article. Ann's youngest

daughter, Emily, became acquainted with Jack Lucas a few years ago

though her interest in WWll history and has been a guest in his house on

several occasions while she was living in N. Orleans. He is being

buried today in Mississippi and she is down for the funeral . Emily

moved to Las Vegas 2 yrs. ago but had kept in touch with Jack and his

wife thru e-mail. Emily has always had a strong interest in the war

since studying it in high school. Hope you enjoy this. Love, Eva

post-256-1213566330_thumb.jpgpost-256-1213566244_thumb.jpg Found these pictures of Mr Lucas. MOH.

Great Pictures Moose,

On the right pic he looks a bit like Audie Murphy, the most decorated soldier of WWII.

Best regards

Ronald