Forums

Full Version: NEW! Sitreps - 540th Engineers October 1944
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Well here goes - beginning to copy the sitreps from the 540th. So am placing these on the main site! Hooray!

As of today, have begun (emphasis on begun) to scan and upload the over 2000 pages of the documents procured from the National Archives. The reports cover the period from January 1943 through November of 1945, and will include S-1 through S-4 reports (daily, weekly and monthly journals), after-action reports, general orders, document receipts, maps, photographs and more.

Our friend Gerome who lives in the Alsace area, will be visiting Charmes, France next week, so I copied the files from October 1944 to assist him with his research of the 540th's bridges, etc., in that area. This also allowed me to immediately share them with all of you. A win-win situation!

Check out the 540th's History page to view the sitreps.

540th's History Page

Oh Gerome, thank you so much. As I stated to you earlier today, we make a great team! :armata_PDT_37:

Here is a scan from my Grandfather’s notebook (one of several he had.) This page is from Oct 20, 1944 and is a sketch from the plan for the Charmes Bridge over the Moselle. I

Here is the link to the scan of my grandfather's note book entry for Charmes River Bridge in October of 44. I just added the scan back (I had to delete it earlier due to size restrictions.)

http://208.109.212.45/forum/index.php?show...amp;#entry18492 (added for M!)

Oh Captain, me does not see da link! Can you please assist? :drinkin:

I just finished adding the 2833rd Bn's daily journals, a few minutes ago. Another milestone!

Everything is now copied from Oct 44 except for one sheet which requires a legal size scan. Will have to run next door to the post office to do that one. Knew I should have bought a scanner capable of scanning legal-sized docs. Ah foresight would have been helpful. :pdt34: Shouldn't complain though; this scanner has performed flawlessly and between this site, my other sites, and performing for our business, this little puppy has scanned several thousand documents without a hiccup. Let's here it for my EPSON 3490 Photo Scanner. Hey Epson, would be happy to do a commercial for ya! :pdt20:

Uh sorry Capt. Just got your PM regarding my reply to you (above). I was looking for an actual link. I see what you mean now! Yes there is a tiny arrow within your quote which refers back to the original post elsewhere in this forum. Maybe it's was the one or two beers I had after work, but just didn't see it. :drinkin: Guess I threw my web-smarts out the window after doing my 9-5 today! :pdt12:

Here is the link to the scan of my grandfather's note book entry for Charmes River Bridge in October of 44. I just added the scan back (I had to delete it earlier due to size restrictions.)

http://208.109.212.45/forum/index.php?show...amp;#entry18492 (added for M!)

:lol:

Yup me didn't get the fact that I could click on the link to get to his reference. Me wanted to see link. Did I ever tell you Homer was my brother? :doh: :gang:

Well, I didn't want to dime you out in front of the community.

:pdt34:

I appreciate that, but I AM not infallible! You can call them as you see them; A is A, a thing is what it is. :lol: