Forums

Full Version: My Dad's "Homefront"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Here are some photos of the my Dad's "homefront". These are the faces he was surely longing to see. Like all the other families, Dad's parents & sister kept him going with cards :envelope: , letters, food, care packages - and most of all LOVE :heartpump::love7: .

These pictures were taken in Feb 1944 and sent to him at Anzio (I can only imagine how he

must've felt when he opened his mail & saw his dear home & family).

Here's his home at 21 Fairbanks Ave Wellesley MA, his parents, his sister Mary (taken in front of St John's Church where they were baptised & me too! and where Dad served at Mass as an altar boy). Last, but not least, is Dad's dog Jeff sunning himself in a pile of leaves fall 1943.

Who were YOUR loved :love7: ones on the homefront?

mary ann

Great idea for a new topic M2! :armata_PDT_37:

I just love that big old house.

Oh Brooke - me too! Can you believe that my grandfather helped to build it along with a fellow Irish immigrant from the neighborhood. I remember every inch of that house, but the people who have it now have ruined it. They "modernized" it and put on an addition. The second story porch is gone ( I just loved that porch!) and my granpa's beloved fruit trees and

dogwood trees were taken down. Those fabulous old houses were built to sit like a jewel in

a setting - with the lawn & gardens around, but no one cares much for that anymore - they'd

rather sprout some cancerous looking "addition" that insults the original architecture.

That house is also a testament to the American Dream. My grandfather came to the US in 1893 with $10 and worked for Carnegie Steel. He'd grown up in a small cottage in Ireland with 9 brothers & sisters and was able to build this house in 1911. God bless America!

mary ann