Forums

Full Version: Just reminded...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

A few years ago I was blessed to be introduced to man named Ben Palmer, a 36th Infantryman. Upon our introduction we became steadfast friends and established a quick and wonderful relationship. Along the way we had many wonderful opportunities to talk and the chance to introduce each other to mutual friends and family.

As many of you have discovered through this site and other venues, we have been blessed to uncover not only knowledge, but have been lucky to establish long-lasting friendships. But as I discovered, a few amongst us are not eager to share in the wealth, and I was sadly reminded of the fact this evening...

When Ben and I first met, he was eager to put me in touch with "like-minded" individuals, and it was great meeting others who shared our love and interests. However I sadly found out that not all feel the same as WE.

Ben tried his best to put me in contact with another WWII daughter, and of course I was eager to exchange emails with her. She too has a WWII forum, so I contacted her and wrote about my father, my research, and my friendship with Ben. But to my dismay, she never replied. Ben would write from time to time and ask if we had made contact, but alas I could only say that I had tried on several occasions, but no response.

At first I put it off to rhyme and reason, and figured she was just as busy as I, but never once did she answer any of my inquiries. I even posted on her forum, but still - nothing!

Sadly, my dear friend passed away, and I took the time to write to her again. I thought our mutual friendship with Ben would melt away the distance, but alas my emails to her were left without response, as were my posts on her forum. Now I was left with only one feeling; she simply did not want to share her friendship with Ben, and considered me an outsider. I must admit I felt outraged, but after a while came to only one conclusion; she didn't really have her heart in the right place. If she truly loved Ben as she said she did, and others like him, then she would have shown that by reaching out to me.

While at first I was miffed and felt slighted by her dismissal, I later had time to reflect and came to the conclusion that her heart didn't truly reflect her wooden words. It's a sad state of affairs when your selfishness gets in the way, and after three years, that is the only conclusion I can draw. I guess you can't touch everyone... :(

Yeah, some people ...

At least you can't blame yourself for not trying.

When I was doing research on the fightings in the Wiltz area in December 44 and January 45, I tried to get in touch with Veterans of the various units involved.

After trying and searching, I finally found a Veteran of the 447th AAA AW Battalion who might have the answers to some questions I had.

I wrote him, but my letter was returned .... below, in a corner of my letter, he had written "Sorry, I do not wish to remember this.". :banghead:

Although I can understand his reaction (he might have seen too much horror during that time), I felt let down big time as I never found another Veteran from that unit.

So, in a way, I can understand you.

Oh well, some you win, some you lose, I guess.

Erwin

Humph!!

I don't get it, Marion. The best part of researching and being involved in forums like this is meeting people who have similar interests and sharing knowledge with each other.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend Ben.

Brooke

M-1 YOU CAN TOUCH ME ANYTIME AND I'M WITH THE 34th not 36th,

Lost another of my old freinds yesterday. He was Navy,destroyer, WW 11.

One year younger than me. Funeral today been snowing all night and still

snowing. I'just stay home.We of theColor Guard did our service las night. Rocky

Thanks for responding all. I was quite surprised when I awoke this morning and found three replies already.

Ya, I don't get it either. I can understand a vet not wanting to talk; that's his prerogative. But someone who had already befriended Ben and had a obvious interest in veterans? I'm sure if he were still alive he would be equally befuddled and a bit sad too! :armata_PDT_23:

Luckily I have only run into this once, for I've never been "spurned" before when trying to talk to someone about THE WAR. However I HAVE run into this with other WOMEN outside the forum in every day life. My husband has seen this occur, and we've both come to the conclusion that they don't want anyone stealing their limelight. Maybe they see it as a competition thing. Dunno!

Brooke, I too think it's just great to share with others, for it makes it that much BETTER! :drinkin:

Well here's to all the wonderful, kind sharing folks out there, for they FAR OUTNUMBER the occasional few who just make you shake your head!! :armata_PDT_37:

Rocky, you naughty boy! Just kidding!!! :heartpump:

I was just watching West Wing, and one of the quotes they used tonight was, "If they're shooting at you, you must be doing something right!" Made me smile!

:drinkin:

I was just watching West Wing, and one of the quotes they used tonight was, "If they're shooting at you, you must be doing something right!" Made me smile!

:drinkin:

That lady has sure missed out, by replying to you she would have made a real friend.

She will never know what she has missed out on.

Thanks Moose. That is how I feel! :clappin: I'm sure we could have shared some really nice things between each other, but we will look at it your way; her loss!

:armata_PDT_37:

Marion:-

When we were kids and had a problem with other kids my

mother(God Rest Her Soul) always said an old Irish saying:-

"True friends are like diamonds rich and rare - False friends

are like autumn leaves you can find them anywhere".

Sgtleo :heartpump::heartpump:

Marion, so sorry for the loss of your friend Ben.

As to the "false friends".., someone once told me

that "all life is like high school" meaning that lots

of people take the same dopey attitudes with them

into adulthood.

There's quite a few examples I could give from my own experience,

but I think this one is the best (and it might make you chuckle):

There was a girl named Anne that I went to Junior high & high school

with & she was very smart & pretty & seemed to always be so perfectly

dressed (she had Pappagallo handbags & matching shoes - remember those?).

Though we were in the same accelerated classes in school, I always felt

2nd rate compared to Anne. I'd start off for school looking ok, but would

have runs in my stockings and droopy hair by 3 o'clock - while Anne

would continue to look pristine ( she even had an all white bedroom

and a white cat).

If I'd done something worthwhile in Anne's eyes - like having a poem selected

for the school paper or recd praise in one of our classes - Anne would

seem more interested in having me as a friend. Eventually, I began to realize this

& also that no matter how much time you spent in her company,

you never felt that you knew her any better. Somehow, you could never

feel close to her. This was quite puzzling to me & I also wondered why

lots of guys would ask me out, but no one ever asked her out since

she was so pretty and so accomplished (at 17 she was cooking & hosting

squab dinners for 20).

Anyway, years after we graduated, she wanted to have a gathering of "old friends"

and I suggested we go out for pizza & beer ( apparently I have plebian tastes).

She was having none of THAT & said that she would make a homemade gourmet

dinner for all of us at her house ( her house always looked like no one ever sat

in any of the furniture & that someone was gonna come to the door any minute

for a Better Homes photo shoot).

A few hours before the party, Anne called & asked me to bring a pastry bag &

mocha beans. My friend Marilyn was with me & I turned to her in a panic because

I didn't own a pastry bag & didn't know where to locate mocha beans for coffee.

In Marilyn's usual deadpan, she said: "Hold on a minute kiddo, I must have

a pastry bag in my purse. Tell Anne to take her mocha beans and stick them....

(you can guess the rest).

Anyway, I came to the party sans pastry bag & mocha beans but with a

nice hostess gift. I was so pleased to see everyone & felt wonderful because

everyone seemed especially delighted to see me. Anne, however, was NOT

a happy camper. She spent the whole night in the kitchen creating her gourmet

repast with exotic desserts, while we were in the living room laughing & talking.

Throughout dinner she kept repeating that we could've had mocha coffee if

"MARY ANN hadn't failed to bring the mocha beans!". I wanted to sink under the table

in chagrin, but thank God Marilyn kept pinching me & whispering :" Tomorrow we

will get a truck with a ton of mocha beans and dump em on her front lawn!".

IN the end, I came to realized that Anne needed to be the center of attention

and compete - while I just enjoyed people and was content to be myself.

What a turn around to realize that I was far more fortunate than she.

"mocha beans" still makes Marilyn & me laugh!

Count your blessings M1 - maybe this was someone you really did NOT want to

know!

Periodically, Anne would call me & ask if I wanted to go along with her & some

friends "antiquing on the Vineyard". Fortunately, I'd wised up by then & would

answer without hestitation: "Geez Anne, I'm too poor for THAT!". When I

hung up the phone, I'd grin & think: "Thank God!".

:wub:

m2

Pages: 1 2