Forums

Full Version: Sicily 1943 7th Army Engrs.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

I have read the story about a bridge needed where the Germans blasted the road away from a hill side. This was on the drive acroos the north shore of Sicily.

On a shear rock face they carved out post holes and built a wood timber bridge in less than 2 days. This allowed the US Arny to advance where the Germans did not expect it too.

The History Channel showed an old WW2 movie about the invasion of sicily that included scenes of the work on the bridge.

I wondered if the unit was ever awared a unit citation?

I have info on this plus photos which I will be able to do display later today. Must run now, but wanted you to know that info is on the way...

:pdt34:

Here we go. I hope you can read this okay. Let me know Paul. I can always re-scan it for you and send it to you in bigger print.

This includes the two photos I have of the Cape Cavala Bridge in Sicily during the month of August 1943 and the story behind it. Enjoy everyone!

Cape Calava Bridge - Sicily - August 1943

A great engineering feat. You guys rule!!! :pdt34:

What an odd coincidence. I just saw this on the History Channel the other day! It never ceases to amaze me the things those engineers could and did do, such as rebuilding this road and putting down those pontoon bridges over large rivers on the way to Germany and sometimes, even, while under fire from the enemy...amazing.

Marilyn

Several coincidences this week with the Engineers, especially the 10th! Strange how things turn out, yes?

I am happy that I have the GREAT opportunity to teach everyone about their contributions through this website and forum. I hope it will continue to be a learning tool for years to come. And yes, they were amazing! :pdt34:

Wow that looks like an impossible situation. The engineers sure know how to do what they do..Thanks Marion for sharing this with us

Okay here's a good one. Colin has been in Sicily continuing his research on WWII and he sent me a present day photo of Cape Calava. So here's a before and after folks...

Present day

post-6-1117449860_thumb.jpg

Calava during WWII

CapeCavalaBridge.htm

My friend from http://www.dogfacesoldiers.com, sent me the following PDF file written by Ernie Pyle on the 10th Engineers at Point Calava.

Here are a few words from Denis regarding the article etc.

Marion:

...I attached the Ernie Pyle story (a 3.2 mb pdf - five pages) ... feel free to post it to your site ... this is a pretty spectacular story that happened long before the Normandy landings in Sicily ... Pyle was with the 45th I.D. but followed the Third towards Palermo ... it was during this time that the Third Division made two regimental amphibious landings (I think both by the 30th) to speed up the slow pace on the north coast road ... if you have seen the movie Patton, the division was hastened by the General in his effort to best Montgomery into Messina ... it was a bloody affair, and not one remembered with grace towards ol' Blood and Guts ... I am not sure if Point Calava or Cape Calava was before or after Brolo (the second landing), I believe it was after ... anyways, a great story and, incidentally, one of the five photographers from my site's story was present at this event ... Howard Nickelson when he was still with the 10th Engineers

I added a section on Anzio from Howard's pictures and a definitive story by Howard about how the photo team was born at Anzio

http://www.dogfacesoldiers.org/anzio

http://www.dogfacesoldiers.org/info/fuzzy.htm

enjoy,

Denis

Marion's Note: I added a page to the beginning of the article telling folks that the article's title erroneously states that it was 1944. The Invasion of Sicily occured in 1943 as did the building of the bridge in Calava.

Calava_Bridge_Ernie_Pyle.pdf

colinhotham

It's so good to see the interest shown here on the Sicillian campaign (Operation Husky 1943). It tends to be forgotten when dealing with WW2 in the Mediterranean as it lasted only 38 days. The incident at Cape Calava came after Brolo in the push towards Messina and was a major feat by the US engineers. For people new to this can I recommend 'Bitter Victory' a book on Husky by Carlo D'Este (Collins 1988) which is still available in libraries and s/h bookshops. (p453 for Calava bridge). This is one of the best books on a WW2 subject and has become my research 'bible'.

Colin.

:tank:

Pages: 1 2