Forums

Full Version: Information please on the 398th Engineers GS Regiment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

I am just trying to track down anyone from my fathers army unit the 398th Engineers GS Regiment , Co. F. or happens to know where they would have served. I have been able to gather some information from the web but not nearly enough to satisfy my hungerI thought this would be another good resource to get information. My father passed two years ago and I am now just trying to piece his military history together. I know the unit was in Ardennes, Rhineland campaigns but not sure if there was any other action. I was told that some of the Engineers were converted into infantry at times. Any information that anyone could provide would be great especially if anyone knew my dad. Roland A. Pomerleau. Unfortunataly as a lot of veterans are dying off their history is going with them. Thank You

David Pomerleau

I am placing the info I have. You may or may not already be familiar with this:

398th Engineer Regiment

Mr. Joe Ciampa

(806) 233-5276

This is all I have at the moment, but I will continue looking.

Have you tried contacting NARA in Maryland? They have different records that St Louis does not, such as after-action reports and all the reports from S-1 through S-4. That includes daily, weekly and monthly reports from the units. It is worth checking out. This is where I received over 2000 pages on my dad's unit. I cannot promise you that you will find as much, but you never know what you will stumble upon. So if you want extensive history, please look there.

I have all the contact information listed in the Research section of this forum. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best of luck to you,

M

I am placing the info I have. You may or may not already be familiar with this:

398th Engineer Regiment

Mr. Joe Ciampa

(806) 233-5276

This is all I have at the moment, but I will continue looking.

Have you tried contacting NARA in Maryland? They have different records that St Louis does not, such as after-action reports and all the reports from S-1 through S-4. That includes daily, weekly and monthly reports from the units. It is worth checking out. This is where I received over 2000 pages on my dad's unit. I cannot promise you that you will find as much, but you never know what you will stumble upon. So if you want extensive history, please look there.

I have all the contact information listed in the Research section of this forum. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best of luck to you,

M

Thank You Marion I had come across that phone number you mentioned and also had been to the NARA site but did not find much there. I appreciate all your efforts. Since the phone number is from Texas and a toll call I am trying to locate an address on Joe Ciampa but not able to get anything wihout having to pay for access. :armata_PDT_19:

I will not be detered however and hope someone here has some recollection of this unit and possible my dad.

Thanks again

Dear David:

I can understand your frustration, and I do not know your financial situation, but I think it would be well worth it to spend a couple of dollars to call the gentleman. Once you've made the initial phone call, you can let him know it's long distance for you, and I'm sure he would give you his address or even an email addy if he or family has one.

Trust me, if you don't do it now, you will only kick yourself in the good ol' American behind for not spending a dollar or two!

As far as NARA, they are very easy to contact and you should really do that too.

http://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-p...rcher-info.html

It was amongst the greatest things I did for my research. Please read my topic:

http://208.109.212.45/forum/index.php?showtopic=1157

The best to ya!

Dear David:

I can understand your frustration, and I do not know your financial situation, but I think it would be well worth it to spend a couple of dollars to call the gentleman. Once you've made the initial phone call, you can let him know it's long distance for you, and I'm sure he would give you his address or even an email addy if he or family has one.

Trust me, if you don't do it now, you will only kick yourself in the good ol' American behind for not spending a dollar or two!

As far as NARA, they are very easy to contact and you should really do that too.

http://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-p...rcher-info.html

It was amongst the greatest things I did for my research. Please read my topic:

http://208.109.212.45/forum/index.php?showtopic=1157

The best to ya!

You are absolutely right Marion and I plan on giving this fine gentleman a call. I could not live with myself if this source turned out to be just what I might be looking for. I will also look a little closer at the NARA sight as well. I have been at this for a while and was beginning to feel that the resources are drying up. Of course with access to the Internet and it's wealth of informatio, Who am I kidding right. Just have to know where to look :26_6_7: