Forums

Full Version: Can you help with a Marine???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

I have one more research question for all you knowledgable folks out there!!!

My husbands Grandfather and Great Uncle were in the Marines in WWII. Hi Great Uncle was Tadeus J Kinczkowski.

Buried at Sea by Administrative Decision

Name: Tadeus J Kinczkowski

Date of Loss: 23 Nov 1943 0

Branch: U.S. Marine Corps

Service Number: 444519

After a little research I found that the Marines in Nov. 1943 lead a huge amphibius assult on an Island in the Pacific which lead to a lot of controversy because the American people didn't think the small Island was worth the losses.

Its around the same time of his death...but not sure if he was a part of this or not. I am currently trying to get his information for the National Archives Site.

I know this is for the Corps of Engineers...but you all seem so informative, I thought you may have some info :) Thanks

(AGAIN)

Misty

Ahh, more research to keep me busy :unsure:

Name: Tadeus J Kinczkowski

Date of Loss: 23 Nov 1943 0

Branch: U.S. Marine Corps

Service Number: 444519

That was in the time frame of the battle of Tarawa but there was also battles going on at Bougainville where on Feb 17, the transport ship USS McKean (APD 5) was sunk after being torpedoed by japanese aircraft, 64 of her crew and 52 marines were lost.

Also, most Navy ships probably had Marine detachments aboard, even those in the Atlantic and Mediteranian at that time so we gotta do alot of digging on this one. Again, it would help if we had his Division or Regiment number.

Larry

Were I a betting man, I would put my money on Tarawa. The last day of the battle was November 23rd, 1943. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tarawa) Lots of Marines died in many place concurrently throughout the war but simple law of averages would say that it is more likely to have occurred on Tarawa if his date of death was during the three days of the battle.

Found some more info on Mr Kinczkowski

Tadeus J. Kinczkowski

ID: 00444519

Entered the Service From: Michigan (Detroit)

Service: U.S. Marine Corps, United States Marine Corps

Died: Tuesday, November 23, 1943

Memorialized at: Manila American Cemetery

Awards: Purple Heart