Forums

Full Version: Personal Observations
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

I must say how refreshing this weekend was. If you've read the latest posts for the weekend of June 22-24th, then you know that Lee and I spent the last couple of days with Don Burgett and family. I've known Don and his wife Twyla for almost three years, and they have always treated me kindly and with respect. My husband had the opportunity to finally meet them yesterday, and he was also touched by their kindness and hospitality. But what really struck me was the warmth we received from his daughter Rene and her family. Not that we wouldn't expect this from anyone related to Don, but it was so refreshing after a few encounters from some other family members of the 101st.

Why do I say this? Well after making a few attempts to make contact with family members of other 101st sons and daughters, I've been left several times with a somewhat bitter taste in my mouth. It would appear from my viewpoint that my letters do not deserve a reply. A very sad statement because I have never received this kind of treatment from any son or daughter of WWII vets. Mind you it's not the vets themselves, but the kids. I would have to assume that fame has touched them and left them feeling a bit superior to the rest of us WWII kids. :unsure: As stated before, I have turned away from certain sites because of this attitude, and won't waste my time trying to make contact now or in the near future. From behind the scenes discussions, I know that others agree with my assessment too.

Fortunately I've only run into this on occasion, and am happy to report that the vast majority of family members of vets, have felt the same brother and sisterhood that we've demonstrated over and over and over again on this site. I think it's so important that all of us stick together and continue to honor ALL our fathers as equal contributors to the war effort. I can't believe they would want it any other way. :pdt: