Forums

Full Version: Michael Klemick - Ranger
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

First off we didn't land on the sector of the beach where we were supposed to be. When we finally did reach the beach and the ramp was dropped, we were jammed against another LCVP that hit some kind of underwater obstacle, as it was cocked to one side and we were bumping it.

The water started rushing in and the sailors were yelling at us to get the lead out and hurry it up and get out. They used different language of course. When I reached for my pack board a wave knocked it from my hands but luckliy washed back to my reach. I remember being weak from throwing up so much.

The water was about 4 feet deep. My helmet fell off into the water but I made a quick grasp for it before it sank. The plastic wrap of my rifle came off during this time. The sand got into the barrel and breech, but you just couldn't hurt the M1.

Bullets were hitting the obstacles all around us. We tried taking cover behind whatever obstacle was there, but that didn't do much good. We headed for the beach as fast as we could. All you could hear was the crack of bullets wizzing past you and hitting the water. I saw many many guys fall. The Officers kept yelling for us not to stop for anyone or anything but to keep moving and to get to the seawall front.

Somehow I made it to the cover of the shingle embankment a few hundred yards from where our boat landed. I'm not sure how high it was but it did offer some cover.

Most of the guys never made it out of the water. some of the craft was hit by artillery from the concrete pillbox near the top of the bluff or cliffs. Many guys were killed on the beach or in the water before reaching it. Our platoon leader a Sgt. (I don't remember his name) was wounded. Our Captain was wounded, and many, many more of the men. Most of the guys stayed behind the embankment until some officer would come along and urge them to follow him.

The Engineers had cleared a path about 4 feet wide up the cliff as it was mined.

After scaling the cliff we came down the side to the right of us and our objective was to open the codename "Belgian Barn Doors". These were hugh metal and barbed wire gates that sealed off the gully or passageway. What took place here in detail I can't explain other than that we completed our assignment.

As for the clothing we wore, yes we wore the assault jacket. Our clothing was treated with an impregnated to resist mustard or chemical gas. Lots of pockets. I had two pockets on my right upper sleeve. In them I had two packs of cigarettes and other stuff. In some period of time during the landing I took a round that cut a pack of cigarettes in half. I found holes in other parts of my clothing also. I also took a round through my canteen bottle that exploded when it was hit, and knocked my to my side and threw me off balance.

As to the situation of our landing sector, it was plain havoc. First off all we didn't land where we were suppose to. It seemed everyone up front was falling face down. Bodies were all over the place. It was difficult to run as you were soaking wet. We were looking for bombed out craters but there wasn't any.

We took cover behind anything or obstacle that was in front of us.

There were gun positions built into the side of the bluffs. To our right was a stationary machine gun that fired straight down the beach, about a foot hight from the ground. The hardest part was not being able to help your buddies. Our orders were to move forward.

My memories at this point are just too terrible to describe ....

From a letter written on november 14, 1994.

Additional information:

As for the landing, this is a story in itself. We disembarked from a British transport to an LCVP. We climbed down rope ladders to the landing craft that was bobbing up and down like a bouncing ball. This was a task that you wouldn't believe. The landing craft held about 35 or so men.

We also realized that the water didn't change that much from the day before as we attempted to make the landing on June 5th but had to return because of the bad weather.

We were to hit the beach in waves, but we had to circle around first until our wave was loaded. The wave also had to be ready to head for the beach It wasn't long, with the salt spray coming over the side, for us to start getting seasick.

After a short time we became organized and started toward the beach. The waves got rougher and the wind blew harder. I became more seasick and very weak. My legs started shaking and I didn't think I would make it.

In the center of the deck was a hole about 8" or so in diameter. I used it when I was sick several times, as well as everyone else. We were issued 'puke sacks' by the Navy guys but they were a nuissance so we used the hole instead.

The landing craft was getting very hard for the sailors in the rear to control. The wind and waves were blowing it off course. We were soaked and cold and very seasick as the wind was blowing sheets of water across the landing craft.

We could hear the bullets and shrapnel hitting the sides and we didn't land in the sector where we were supposed to be. When we did finally reach the beach and the ramp dropped, we were next to a craft that overturned. We were bumping it also.

One of the sailors yelled for us hurry and get the hell out .

I lost some of my equipment including my helmet, but by sheer luck managed to retrieve them. I jumped off the ramp in about 4 feet of water.

Some of the guys weren't so lucky, some drowned. The plastic wrap was blown off my rifle and my gun had sand all through it. All you could hear was the sound of bullets hitting all around us and guys dropping.

The Lieutenant who was the first to get off yelled for us to move forward, not to stop to help anyone, but to keep moving. He said to move fast and head for the seawall. About that time he was hit. Some of the others fell also. The distance to the seawall was what seemed far away.

The tide was low and the obstacles were on top of the ground and had mines on top of them. Dead bodies were everywhere. You tried to run but couldn't because you were soaked and loaded with equipment. You just moved along as if in slow motion.

From letter written on June 10, 1996

Mike ended up with the 87th Cav Rcn Sq of the 7th Armored Division.

He fought in the Battle of the Bulge and encountered the Russians at war's end.

Almost was ordered to fire on the Russian troops as they were brutally raiding the area.

KlemickPolishboy-Germany45.jpg

Mike together with a Polish boy his outfit "adopted" in 1945

MichaelKlemick.jpg

Mike nowadays

A true friend to have and to keep

Erwin

I only takes a few minutes with people like this to really put things into perspective.

Thanks for sharing.

Brooke

:drinkin: Thx for that great story Erwin. :armata_PDT_37:

You're welcome, Martin.

Thank you for those fine pictures of Charlie beach.

Brooke,

Well, I can honestly tell you that talking to some Veterans and writing to them sure changed my view on the world.

Especially Kerman Sheckler (101AB) had a serious impact on my life.

Erwin

:armata_PDT_37:"And That's The Way It Was, June 6, 1945" THANKS AL Kincer

1944 :pdt34:

Too bad he has a bad case of arthritis in his hands now which prevent him to write letters.

I do keep in touch and send an occasional letter to let him now his Belgian buddy didn't forget him.

It's the least I can do.

I secretly hope I'll be able to go visit him one day together with my girlfriend.

But there's still a long way to go before I can do this.

Erwin

I hope your dream does come true Erwin. Keep the faith!

I just got off the phone with Don Burgett, 101st Airborne. We had such a nice conversation. He is such a joy to speak to. Lee and I are planning on meeting him, along with Reg (one of our moderators from Belgium) and his girlfriend Anne, and also my buddy Doug, whose father was in the 326th Engineers (part of the 101st). It will be a fun weekend. We are going to spend the night in Howell too, so we will have plenty of time to shoot the breeze with Don and his family. I feel very lucky to be in his company once again. I haven't seen him in a very long time. My husband has never met him, so he is looking forward to this weekend too. :drinkin:

Wow, that sounds like a really interesting weekend. :pdt34:

All the best to you all and you're right ...... you're very lucky for having this opportunity. :pdt12:

:drinkin:

Erwin

Pages: 1 2 3