Forums

Full Version: Patton and His Pistols
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

twobisquit

Patton and his Pistols

- from an artical by Skeeter Skelton

On March 4, 1916, an ivory-stocked, silver-plated Model P action bearing serial No. 332088 was carefully packed for shipping at the Colt factory in Hartford, Connecticut, and left that quiet community on the first of many long trips it would make. Its first journey ended at the Shelton Payne Arms Co. in El Paso, Texas. Payne Arms had work to do on the 4 3/4-inch .45 Colt sixgun before delivery could be made to a discriminating, and sometimes irascible, second lieutenant of cavalry named George S. Patton, Jr.

The best sources hold that this, the famous Patton gun of World War II, is the sidearm he carried when he left El Paso later that month to serve as a special aide to General John "Black Jack" Pershing.

By the time Patton and his new single action arrived in Mexico two months later, the showy sixshooter had acquired a tasteful robe of engraving, the initials GSP intertwined on the smooth right grip to complement the raised American eagle on the left and a lanyard swivel.

If things moved quickly with Patton and his Colt, the frenzied events that made a setting for them crackled at a pace that astounded 20th century Americans.

What has often been called the "prettiest" fight of the expedition was carried off by 2nd Lieutenant George Patton, in a style that was to characterize his actions for the rest of his carrer.

As aide to the gruff Pershing, the young wardog was eight years out of West Point and spoiling for action. Weary of dividing his time between acrounging corn for the expedition's starving horses and carrying dispatches relating Carranza's latest activities, Patton was delighted when the general detailed him to look into reports that one of Villa's most trusted confederates, Colonel Júlio Cárdenas, occasionally visited his wife at a ranch called San Miguelito.

After several days of detective work, during which Patton studied the layout of San Miguelito through binoculars, he became convinced on May 14 that Cárdenas had slipped onto the premises.

With about 15 men, including civilian guide E.L. Holmdahl, the fiesty young shavetail approached the fortress-like ranch complex in the lead of three open-topped Dodge touring cars. Then he executed the maneuver that was to characterize his actions for the remainder of his career.

He attacked!

Waving his ivory-stocked Peacemaker, Lieutenant Patton roared into position near the main gate of the ranch and leaped from his car.

Three horsemen clattered from the ranch at breakneck speed. Patton shouted for them to halt. The three armed riders wheeled and charged him, the leader yanking a rifle from his saddle scabbard, opening fire. At 60 feet, Patton calmly held and squeezed five rounds from his .45. His arms flapping from a hit, the leading bandit fell from his saddle, recovered, and ran through a doorway as Patton reloaded.

The second horseman, desperate to escape, spurred his horse toward freedom, passing in front of the officer's sixshooter. Patton later said that he then recalled the advice of a salty old Texas Ranger - the best way to stop a horseman is to stop his horse, which he did with one shot. When the rider arose, firing rapidly, Patton joined the other troopers in bring him down. The third rider was felled by rifle fire.

At this point Cárdenas broke from his cover, shooting, and was killed by one shot through the head from Holmdahl's revolver.

The dead Villistas were later identified as Colonel Cárdenas, Private Juan Garza, and Captain Isadór Lopez. the body of the bandit colonel bore five wounds, and his bandoliers held 35 empty cartridge loops.

George Patton was promoted to 1st lieutenant as a result of this action, and it remained one of his favorite reminiscences. The tow notches on the left ivory grip of the Patton Peacemaker are believed to have been placed there by him to represent the killings of Cárdenas and Garza.

Patton's Colt .45 is not one a matched pair, as many of his admirers believe. The ivory-handled revolver he frequently wore during World War II along with the Colt is a Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum with a 3 1/2-inch barrel. It bears serial number 47022 and was shipped directly to Patton in Hawaii by the S&W factory on October 18, 1935. Patton later had the ivory, magna-type stocks fitted to the revolver.

Thanks for that great article. Always love reading about Patton.

Just received this from my friend, Russ Weiskircher:

Long after WW2 and after Patton's

death, I was stationed in Pittsburgh, Pa and served as the chairman of the

Fort Pitt Museum Associates.As such we staged events to publicize and

support the museum. I recall we hosted a traveling display honoring General

Patton and telling the story of tank warfare. General Ridgeway, also

retired, cut the ribbon and was the chief speaker. General Patton's pistols

were on loan, traveling with the exhibit. Russ

By the way have you ever seen the story of Pattons grave and the relocation

to minimize damage from the many visitors? Its an interesting rest of the

story sort of thing. I believe you can get in via google, Patton's grave.

Thanks for that great article. Always love reading about Patton.

Just a thought.--I Wonder how Patton would have been as an infantry general ??? Probably would still be alive, ya think????? Rockky

Well actually it wouldn't have mattered honey because he didn't die during the war, but in a freak car accident during the German occupation. I know George would have much preferred to die in battle. He was angry that after all he had been through, that a car accident severly injured him and led to his demise.

Well actually it wouldn't have mattered honey because he didn't die during the war, but in a freak car accident during the German occupation. I know George would have much preferred to die in battle. He was angry that after all he had been through, that a car accident severly injured him and led to his demise.

Just think a minute sweetie, Maybe he would have been a politician along with IKE and he wouldn't have been riding in that jeep, WOW the thoughts that come to mind!!!!! R

:unsure::unsure:

I am just one of many the thought that that "accident" was not truly

an accident but it is an enigma that probably will never be solved.

He was going to retire and return Stateside which would have put

him here when Ike would be campaigning. Would he have been too

much of a distraction from Ike's campaign?? No answer possible at

that time or now!!!

Remote crossroad,6by makes a "wrong" turn ???

Latest edition of the movie shows Gen Patton and friend riding off to

their hunting trip with the "accident" scene deleted from movie. ???

Many questions,many in ETO felt went unanswered!!

Sgtleo

:armata_PDT_01::armata_PDT_01:

This is part of the data upon which I formed my opinion

posted above.

After the close of World War II, Patton (now a full General)

became the occupation commander of Bavaria, and made

arrangements for saving the world-famous Lipizzaner stallions

of Vienna. However, he was relieved of duty after making

comments that the Nazis were nothing more than a normal

political party, and ordering former SS units to begin drilling in

attempt to gain some respectability. His view of the war was that

with Hitler gone, the German army could be rebuilt into an ally

in a potential war against the Russians, whom Patton notoriously

despised and considered a greater menace than the Germans.

During this period, he wrote that the Allied victory would be in

vain if it led to a tyrant worse than Hitler and an army of

"Mongolian savages" controlling half of Europe. Eisenhower

had at last had enough, relieving Patton of all duties and

ordering his return to the United States. When Patton openly

accused Eisenhower of caring more about a political career

than his military duties, their friendship effectively came to

an end. In addition, Patton was highly critical of the victorious

Allies use of German forced labor. He commented in his diary

"I’m also opposed to sending PW’s to work as slaves in foreign

lands (in particular, to France) where many will be starved to

death." He also noted "It is amusing to recall that we fought

the revolution in defence of the rights of man and the civil war

to abolish slavery and have now gone back on both principles".[

(See also Eisenhower and German POWs).

[/color]

From time to time conspiracy theorists have suggested that

Eisenhower had Patton asassinated;that the automobile accident in

which Patton broke his neck was not an accident at all. While

there is no evidence to suggest that this is true. Patton's diary does

suggest that the general was planning either to retire or resign his

commission and enter politics. Given his popularity with the American

people and with the respect in which he was held by his men, it is

entirely possible he could have won the same nomination his erstwhile

friend acceptedIt must be noted that

Patton's medals for combat valor make Eisenhower's medals for

merit seem pale by comparison, and that by 1948 many

Americans had come to see the Soviet menace as Patton had

in 1945.

Eisenhower's ethnic background made him a true hater of the

Krauts and despite the several Generals, Gen. Patton included

he (Eisenhower) refused to release all the POWS after the war

be changed their status from POWS to DEF(Disarmed Enemy Forces)

and forced them to work on the restoration efforts throughout

Europe.

Sgtleo

Sgtleo; YEP THAT'S THE WAY I HEARD IT. PATTON WAS INDEED A LOVER OF HORSES.

I THINK THE DIFFERENCE BETEEN PATTON AND IKE WAS THAT PATTON WAS A COMBAT GENERAL AND IKE WASN'T. THE WAY PATTON DIED WILL ALWAYS BE A MYSTERY. ROQUE

Yes, no one in Washington wanted to hear Patton's views about the Russians. Too bad they didn't pay any attention at all! Look what happened.

While we could not have afforded an all out war with Russia (that would have been a holy mess), they simply acquiesced. No backbone at all. Russia got her way in 1945. Old George KNEW what was coming. Hell he was well read and knew history inside and out. This was no surprise to him.

I was never one for conspiracy stories, but it sure stinks either way. It always breaks my heart to see Patton die that way every time I watch the movie. :(

Sarge I do have to agree with you that Patton would have been very popular with many in the states. If Patton HAD gone up against Ike, well... Oh man Washington would have had a fit. I can see it now. :pdt12::pdt12: One thing is for sure; while still a general, Washington DC still had reigns on him. But as a public citizen, they couldn't order him to cease and desist! :direct:

Thanks for all the input. Enjoyed reading your posts. :pdt34:

Pages: 1 2