Forums

Full Version: Major Lester c O'Neal, Regimemtal Surgeon, 39th Engineers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

My wife is the daughter of Major Lester C. O'Neal who was Regimental Surgeon of 39th Combat Engineers from Aug 42 at Camp Bowie, Texas until he was killed in action near Riardo , Italy 7 Nov 43 . He went with the unit to Oran, Algiers in Jan 43 and was in the invasion of Sicily at Gela in July 43 . After the Sicily campaign was over , he went to Italy in Sept 43 . He was killed in an air attack on a Sunday while traveling in a vehicle near the site of the 38th Evacuation hospital near Riardo, Italy .

With the help of this site , my wife and I have been in contact with several men who served with Dr. O'Neal during this time . As a result of this information , we have entered some of this information on this site . We would like to hear from anyone who knew Dr. O'Neal or served with him .

Hey, it's great to see you on the forum. I am delighted to hear that I was able to play a part in your research. Isn't it a wonderful feeling to be in touch with these men and their families? Just goes to show that it's never to late to find the missing puzzle pieces. :pdt34: I hope you will be able to find even more info regarding Major O'Neal.

Did you get to see the new photo show of the 39th yet? If not take a peek later on.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/Web...eers/Album6.htm

For everyone reading Bill's post, I also created a page for the major on our main site.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/LesterONeal.htm

My best to you.

My wife is the daughter of Major Lester C. O'Neal who was Regimental Surgeon of 39th Combat Engineers from Aug 42 at Camp Bowie, Texas until he was killed in action near Riardo , Italy 7 Nov 43 . He went with the unit to Oran, Algiers in Jan 43 and was in the invasion of Sicily at Gela in July 43 . After the Sicily campaign was over , he went to Italy in Sept 43 . He was killed in an air attack on a Sunday while traveling in a vehicle near the site of the 38th Evacuation hospital near Riardo, Italy .

With the help of this site , my wife and I have been in contact with several men who served with Dr. O'Neal during this time . As a result of this information , we have entered some of this information on this site . We would like to hear from anyone who knew Dr. O'Neal or served with him .

Marion,

Thanks for your response to my posting .

I have enjoyed reviewing the entire site since the resent changes . After your post, I did review the 39th photo page .

It was very good .

Thanks again for your fine work .

Bill