Forums

Full Version: "S" designations?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Many of you probably wondered what things like S-1 meant when you saw it regarding Army records, etc. Well this should help you.

S-1 Adjutant

S-2 Intelligence

S-3 Operations

S-4 Supply

Also

XO - Executive Officer

CO - Commanding Officer

:drinkin::drinkin:

Marion

Had a few minutes reprieve so I thought I'd say "I knew That".

You forgot the most important guy in the Company the 1st Sgt..

We got a new Co. that was a "Ring Knocker" and he used to go

bananas with some of the Butter Bars etc in the BN.

What he did one day was to form up the Bn. and DISMISS all

Commissioned officers for 36 hours after he told them that in his

opinion he could run the Bn. With the NCOS and WITHOUT the

Officers and he did exactly that. When the 36 hours was up he

reminded the Commissioned Officers that they were ONLY PART

on the Bn.

Necessary but not needed.

There were a lot of long faces and bruised egos but he proved his point

Sgtleo :pdt34::pdt34::coffee:

Let's hear it for the NCO's. Guess I'm kinda partial to them since daddy was a Tec5. :pdt34::pdt34: That's a pretty interesting story. Hubby said I'd made a good Sarge! :pdt12::pdt12:

I also placed a complete Army ranks post in this section too.

:direct::direct:

Marion from your description:- (You are so right)LOL

FIRST SERGEANT (1SG)

Principal NCO and life-blood of the company: the provider,

disciplinarian and wise counselor. Instructs other SGTs,

advises the Commander and helps train all enlisted Soldiers.

Assists Officers at the company level (62 to 190 Soldiers).

Top :clappin::clappin::clappin:

Looks like I'm in good company then. :wub::pdt34::pdt34:

Whilst browsing I found this and wondered what you meant by "S" designations. I saw what you meant once I opened the topic.

I was, of course, hurt by the fact that you don't have S-6 represented. Just remember, the three pillars of a functioning unit are to shoot, move, and communicate! Can't do much of the first two without the third!! ;)

Something else one might hear is "G" sections. These are for Division sized units and up (commanded by a general [thus "G"]). I work in the G-6 (communications) section for II MEF.

Something that is a little more recent in nature (I believe) is the "J" designator. They correspond to the meanings of the S and G sections, but are the designations for joint commands (composed of individuals from multiple service branches.)

Whilst browsing I found this and wondered what you meant by "S" designations. I saw what you meant once I opened the topic.

I was, of course, hurt by the fact that you don't have S-6 represented. Just remember, the three pillars of a functioning unit are to shoot, move, and communicate! Can't do much of the first two without the third!! ;)

Something else one might hear is "G" sections. These are for Division sized units and up (commanded by a general [thus "G"]). I work in the G-6 (communications) section for II MEF.

Something that is a little more recent in nature (I believe) is the "J" designator. They correspond to the meanings of the S and G sections, but are the designations for joint commands (composed of individuals from multiple service branches.)

CaptO where does a PFC fit in, way behind the Master Sgt.-First Sgt.-Buck Sgt.

or Tech Sgt. Hell it took an act of Congress ot move me from Private to PFC. Roque :armata_PDT_19:

So I would be an S-1 at my job then??? Dear me.

Of course Belgian Army ranks differ from American. :banghead:

Erwin

CaptO where does a PFC fit in

Well Rock, being a private first class is much better than being a private no class (E-1 or 2). At least there was a vote passed in congress to get you your PFC rocker!

In the Marines a PFC is an E-2. An E-3 is called a Lance Corporal (inherited from the British Royal Marines.) A PFC has one stripe and a Lance Corporal has one stripe above two crossed rifles. Getting you crossed rifles is a big deal because it shows you’re not the bootest of the boot. I'm sure you were probably interested mostly in the pay hike, yes? The mud was probably just as cold and wet in Italy as a PFC as it was a Private. Mauser bullets probably don't care much about the difference between E-2's and 3's as well.

BronzeStar.jpg

I'd say PFC or no, you made an impression on people!

Well Rock, being a private first class is much better than being a private no class (E-1 or 2). At least there was a vote passed in congress to get you your PFC rocker!

In the Marines a PFC is an E-2. An E-3 is called a Lance Corporal (inherited from the British Royal Marines.) A PFC has one stripe and a Lance Corporal has one stripe above two crossed rifles. Getting you crossed rifles is a big deal because it shows you’re not the bootest of the boot. I'm sure you were probably interested mostly in the pay hike, yes? The mud was probably just as cold and wet in Italy as a PFC as it was a Private. Mauser bullets probably don't care much about the difference between E-2's and 3's as well.

BronzeStar.jpg

I'd say PFC or no, you made an impression on people!

64 bucks a month combat pay! I WUZ LOADED

SIR, THANK YOU, CAPT. SIR. ONE STEP BACK I SALUTE YOU. OLE DOGGIE :armata_PDT_01:

Pages: 1 2