Forums

Full Version: A Christmas that wasn't Christmas
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Christmas 1944 - Battle of the Bulge

A Christmas That Wasn't Christmas

by May A. Alm

Nurse, 104th Evac. Hospital

3rd Army, European Theater

What was I doing on December 25, 1944?

The setting was in Luxembourg and I was a nurse in the 104th Evac Hospital. The day was cloudy and bitter cold. The ground was frozen and covered with snow. There was a feeling of foreboding. I was in the middle of a war!

Earlier in the month, a cadre from our unit, which was then based in Nancy, France, had been sent to seek out a site near Metz. Then, on December 16th, the word came of the German last ditch stand in the Ardennes.

Our unit arrived in Luxembourg late in the day, around 4pm, on Christmas Eve having been transported by convoy from Nancy. As usual, the nurses rode in the ambulances. Later on, rumor had it that a vehicle had been blown up on the way but it was never confirmed.

As soon as we arrived, the setup began immediately as the casualties came pouring in. Our setup didn't take long to be in full operation! We were extremely busy caring for the wounded. Rest was forgotten. There were no helicopter deliveries - only ambulances and litters strapped to jeeps to carry the wounded. The receiving area, triage, was soon inundated and surgery became a very busy place. Alone with three wonderful corpsmen, we kept the gas-fired autoclaves running constantly so necessary supplies were kept ready for the surgeons as they donned their "beanies" and rubber gloves to repair the various wounds. Belly wounds, face wounds, and amputations took priority.

Chow time that night consisted of C-rations - the cooks were the last to setup - eaten by flashlight in the dark. The table was the nearest crate available - wherever we could find a place. There was no separation by rank since all were in fatigues but as I entered a darkened tent to sit on a box while I ate, one of the corpsmen said "Cut it, fellas, there's a lady in here." It's hard to say what they had been talking about before that. I don't know how they knew I was a different gender as I was in fatigues and helmet like they were. Then a light was shone on my face from one of their flashlights.

I must have been relieved for a little rest but I don't remember sleeping that night. I was on duty all Christmas Day. No one had time to mention Christmas on that terrible Sunday. We ate C-rations in lieu of Christmas turkey. That continued to be our meals for several days. A Merry Christmas greeting was not heard until a few days later when the work slackened somewhat and the cooks were able to prepare a great turkey dinner.

Our unit was setup in what had been an old peoples and orphans home. The old people had been transferred to other acomodations but the orphans (at least 40) were left in their building. While still in Nancy, packages from home had arrived for us containing Christmas candy and other small items. In Luxembourg, when work had simmered down somewhat in the hospital, we collected things from these packages and gave them to the children. (picture) Those of use who were not on duty went to church services where a Christmas message from General Patton was read to us. Our prayers were for the weather to clear so the planes could come in and relieve to some extent, the men who were giving so much out in the bitter cold and snow.

Christmas 1944 - unimaginably horrible and never to be forgotten.

http://www.crystalsw.com/pers/mom_chr44.shtml