Forums

Full Version: Research - 2nd bn 36th Engineeers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Hi my name is Odis Warren and I'm excited about finding this sight. I have been working on a memorial page for the 14th Combat Engineering Battalion and have come to the point where I need some real experianced advice. I am looking for any advice on how would be the best way to get names of fellow soldiers who served with the 36th / 2827th engineers who gave their lives from 1941-1950. Any leads are really appreciated.

Thank you

Odis Warren

Vietnam

4th CEB

14th CEB Sappers

Welcome to 6th Corps. Youre at the right place. There is alot of great people here that are willing to help with a wealth of knowlege.Good luck. I hope to see your website soon.

My father was with Co. c

Chris :pdt34:

Odie! Welcome my new friend. Glad to see that my advice worked and you were able to post! Excellent.

"My guys", the WWII bunch, have rosters from their units, and I can put you in contact with Captain John Fallon, so this will take you through 1945, when the unit completed their tour of duty in the ETO.

On April 29, 1947 the 2827th (originally the 2nd Bn of the 36th) Engineer Combat Battalion was re-designated as the 14th Engineer Combat Bn, and activated in March of 1950 in Kisarazu, Japan as part of the post-war occupation forces. Within 5 months the 14th was again in combat, this time landing in Pohong Dong, Korea.

It so happens that we are in contact with the current Colonel, Rick Stevens, so I will be able to put you in contact with him too.

I am not sure if you are aware, but a rather timely thing occured this month. I just had an article published in Army Corps Magazine on my dad's unit, the 540th Engineers, who were the "sister" regiment to the 36th. Also featured in the same month is the article, "WWII 36th Engineer Combat Regiment - Brothers-in-Arms - Reunited in Iraq". This article is in regards to the 14th and 19th Bns being reunited for the first time since WWII. The article gives some history and also discusses their current role today in Iraq. They are now under the 25th Infantry Division, as a part of Task Force Lightning.

Michael Brodhead, friend and editor of the magazine, and Captain John Fallon of the 36th, put me in touch with the Colonel Stevens, so I will give you his email address. He might be able to fill in some post WWII history. Also I will write to Michael today to see if he can put me in touch with Captains Jason Toth and Kevin Loberg (re the two officers who wrote the article in this month's magazine).

Captain Loberg also wrote another article for said magazine this month called, "The Rugged 14th Engineers Blaze Trails". I was delighted to have my article flanked by the history of the 14th past and present.

Once again welcome. I hope I can fill in all the missing links for you. :pdt34:

Essayons!

Odie:

Here's the letter I sent off to Col Mike this morning:

Dear Michael:

Funny how things come around full circle, especially this month.

A gentleman recently signed up as a new member of our forum. Here is what he wrote:

Hi my name is Odis Warren and I'm excited about finding this sight. I have been working on a memorial page for the 14th Combat Engineering Battalion and have come to the point where I need some real experienced advice. I am looking for any advice on how would be the best way to get names of fellow soldiers who served with the 36th / 2827th engineers who gave their lives from 1941-1950. Any leads are really appreciated.

Thank you

Odis Warren

Vietnam

4th CEB

14th CEB Sappers

I wrote back to him and let him know that I (and "my guys") could help him by providing him with rosters from the WWII period. I also informed him that through you and Captain John Fallon of the 36th, that I was now in contact with Colonel Stevens. Told him that I would forward his request to the Col.

I also informed him that his letter to me was very timely, and explained how my article in this month's Army Engineer Mag was flanked (can you tell I've become ARMY) by two articles regarding the history and the current deployment of the 14th in Task Force Lightning. I was wondering (even before I got his letter) if you could put me in contact with Captains Loberg and Toth. I would love to be able to talk with them, and know that they might be able to help "Odie" with his request too.

Just think, we would be uniting the history of the 36th from WWII to present. May the circle be unbroken...

With big smiles,

M

Marion Chard

Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek

540th Combat Engineer WWII

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com

http://www.6thcorpsmusic.us

Received this from the Colonel today.

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

Caveats: NONE

Marion, thank you again for your kind note. I may be remiss in not responding immediately, but please don't misinterpret that I am not interested...I most certainly am. I so admire what you're doing for "your guys"!

I just returned from California at the National Training Center where I was overseeing the training of the 70th Engineer Battalion, which will be one of our subordinate units in Afghanistan . Our modular formations within the Engineer Regiment today only rarely sustain the habitual associations of the past. It is interesting to note that neither the 14th nor the 19th Engineers are aligned today with the 36th. Ah well...who's knows what will happen down the road.

Congratulations on your Engineer Magazine coup. Excellent! I don't have access to the unit records from 1941-1950, but I will refer Odie (Cc: above) to the Corps of Engineers History Office at email address ceho@usace.army.mil and perhaps they can point him in the right direction.

Happy holidays and thank you again for your wonderful contributions toward keeping the spirit of the WWII Combat engineers as alive as ever.

All the best,

Rick Stevens

"Rugged 6"

COL RICK STEVENS

CDR, 36th EN BDE

254-291-4086

LOL...Thats funny Marion..

Speaking of the 25th Infantry Division, one of my best friends who returns from Fort Campbell, KY tomorrow from more advanced training with his new unit. He just returned from Hawaii, as part of the US 25th Aviation Bde. :pdt34:

I bet he didn't even know that one of his division units served formly with VI Corps.!

Regards,

MARNE

Ah, I see... All kinds of ties. ;)

Welcome to 6th Corps. Youre at the right place. There is alot of great people here that are willing to help with a wealth of knowlege.Good luck. I hope to see your website soon.

My father was with Co. c

Chris :pdt34:

Thanks for the help, As I mentioned my Grandfather served in the 36th ENGR Combat RGMT from 42 to 45 he was assigne to Acompany then as a Lt in G Co. His last name was Randolph? if you have heard any info. Would be great.

Scott

Hi Scott:

I hope you don't think I'm dumb, but you stated within the above post, "As I mentioned my Grandfather served...", but I can't find any post relating to this. :armata_PDT_23: Can you fill us in? Thanks. Would love to hear more of course. :pdt34:

There's a ton of info on the 36th on this forum and site. Well heck it's dedicated to those guys so... :pdt12: Make sure you check out this year's reunion info to, in the reunion section of this forum. :blush:

Pages: 1 2