Forums

Full Version: Reading Vet's stories in December
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Today I have gone back to read and re-read some of the Veteran's stories here, and the ones about Bastogne in particular, since it's cold and snowy as I look out my window. For some reason a large lump has appeared in my throat that won't seem to go away. Reading Paul Hinkle's and Jim Hennesey's stories...and remembering what those young men did in the Winter of '44, along with all the rest of the guys who have posted their stories here...some days it's just too much.

Dogdaddy :woof:

Today I have gone back to read and re-read some of the Veteran's stories here, and the ones about Bastogne in particular, since it's cold and snowy as I look out my window. For some reason a large lump has appeared in my throat that won't seem to go away. Reading Paul Hinkle's and Jim Hennesey's stories...and remembering what those young men did in the Winter of '44, along with all the rest of the guys who have posted their stories here...some days it's just too much.

Dogdaddy :woof:

Mine were two winters on the mountains of Italy. '43,'44. I paid the price.

Didn't get trench mouth but got a gum infection. Lost my teeth, all were good. Others got trench feet and lost toes.

I came in one evening when it was frozen cold and I was complaining about it. My grandpa never looked away from what he was doing and he said, "Be glad you're not layin' out there in a hole, with people shootin' atcha."

'nuff said.

Brooke

:banghead::banghead:

I'm still cold after all these years!!

That is one thing most men will never forget.- ever try to walk in frozen boots??

Sgtleo :pdt33::pdt33:

:banghead:  :banghead:

I'm still cold after all these years!!

That is one thing most men will never forget.- ever try to walk in frozen boots??

Sgtleo    :pdt33:  :pdt33:

Two winters, '43, '44, Italian Mtns. Brooke sez, nuf said.

:direct::direct:

Remember reports during December '44 and have read it many times since - That was one of the coldest Winters Europe ever had. Tell me about it!!!

Maybe the Krauts saved it for us as their secret weapon(LOL).

Sgtleo :argue:

Ya, and it was one hell of a weapon. Took down many good men. I hate being cold like that too. I'm afraid I would have "woosed-out" :unsure:

?? ?? ?? ?? ?? :cuss::cuss:

Not to be a wise guy BUT just where in the H**L would you have gone??(LOL)

Believe me if I could have left graciously (or not) I would have!!

It was not only colder than an Eskimo well digger's *** but the Krauts were using REAL BULLETS!!! Geeeeeeeez!!

Sgtleo :usa:

Okay I wouldn't have gone anywhere :lol: , but I would have cried a lot. :( I don't have good circulation in my extremities, and my hands and feet get very painful after being out in the cold after a short period. See I told ya I was a woose! :doh:

Okay I wouldn't have gone anywhere :lol: , but I would have cried a lot. :( I don't have good circulation in my extremities, and my hands and feet get very painful after being out in the cold after a short period. See I told ya I was a woose! :doh:

HEY LEE !!!!!! YOUR GAL NEEDS A GOOOOOOD RUB DOWN, NORTH TO SOUTH AND BACK. Winter of '43 we were just in the hills. mud was hell. '44 we werealittle higher up. we thought we had fog, wrong, it was clouds, when it snowed it came down in chunks. but when you are 19,20,21, you are full of p--- and vinegar. Long time ago, now when it get down to 40 you are hurting. Marion take a slug of Jack Daniels and get a rub down, Lee will feel better.; Don't knock the Rock.

Pages: 1 2