Forums

Full Version: Bodies in River
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Don't remember posting this before but if I did chalk it up to an old man's memory

lapse due to the number of years.

I was acting as an MP guarding a cross road outside Chartres,France at the time the 26th (ID) was in the area and Kraut POWS were coming back through. I noticed locals staring down into river so I decided to take a look-see and walked up to the bridge(I was doing interpreting off and on for an Intel Unit) and I heard enough to know that they weren't going to give me help or info.

A Canadian "Bike" rider was passing so I asked him to secure my weapon(sure didn't trust locals) while I climbed down the river bank-swam out to an overturned 2-1/2 six-by and proceeded to dive. After a few dives,I located both GIs. Swam ashore to get help. Ordnance sent 2 huge wreckers to recover bodies/trucks.

I was taken to an Aid Station for hypothermia treatment(got dry uniform)and went back to my unit as we were loading POWs for shipment to rear.Got served some semi-hot powdered eggs out of a can with ketchup-what a choice!! I had just stuck a hand inside a GIs head a while ago!!

Never heard any more-not even the GIs names-but some time later I was told by a Lt. they were from the 26th ID! Have always wondered who they were when I recall this incident since I lived in Boston and the 26th ID had a lot of men from that area in it. The 26th ID was nicknamed "Yankee Div." and shoulder patch was "YD".

Questions I have/had follow:-

Could GIs have been saved if locals spoke up before I got inquisitive?

Could we have helped save those GIs if the Locals spoke up??

Why stand and stare and not report GIs were in the river?

Did they dislike us that much?

Would love to have an answer to a lot of questions I have never been able to answer!!

I know it's a lot of years since '44 but I'm still curious about those 2 GIs.

Maybe ! I'll never know but curiosity came back when I saw YD's Web Page some time back.

I have posted this story other places but still nothing for my efforts.

Sgtleo :banghead::banghead:

Sgt - What a horrible story! I can see why it haunts you to this day. How truly sad! :(:(

Even though it was too late, you did the right thing, but why no one said anything is... And as you said, would you or anyone else been able to save them if they could have been gotten to in time? :(:(

We're you able to contact anyone through YD's web page? If not I will see what I can do. Let me know. It might be nice if you could get some closure on this years later. Wouldn't change the outcome but...

:pdt33::pdt33:

If you read my last sentence I pointed out trying what you suggested.

Spoke to a couple of locals who were in the 26th but Nada!!

Guess I'll Never know,however hard that is to swallow even after these many years.

Sgtleo :banghead:

I would imagine that sometimes a failing memory is a saving grace... God Bless you Sarge, for your effort and your fortitude.

Jim