Forums

Full Version: 19th Engineer? Charles Ellis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

your_name: Michael Agee

address: 10611 W. Houston

cityst: Sapulpa, Oklahoma

zipcode: 74066

phone: left off for privacy

email_confirm: left off for privacy

through: Search Engine

comments: My dad's uncle Charles was an engineer in WWII. He was killed in Sicily. The jeep he was in hit an anti tank mine. Three of the four men were killed, the driver survived. His name was Lt. Charles E. Ellis. If I'm not misstaken he was with the 19th Eng. before leaving the states. Does anyone remember him or have any info. on him. I would like to pass it on to my dad.Thank you

I wrote back to him yesterday and told him if he could find out a bit more since the 19th was a bn of the 36th Engineers, but there was also a 19th Engineer Regiment.

Told him to check out the other posts regarding this right here under this section. Am waiting to hear back from him.

Hi Michael:

Sorry for the delay in my response. Things are keeping me hopping on this

end as usual.

It was so nice to hear from you. The 19th Engineers were a battalion and

DID serve in the Mediterranean Theatre and were part of the 36th Engineer

Regiment. But there also was a 19th Engineer Regiment which consisted of

the 401st and the 402nd Bns. Do you have anything else that might help me

out such as pin, patch, letters, etc. Let me know. Confusing huh???

I will be happy to place this info on the forum in the hope that someone

might recognize the name and be able to help your further.

Sincerely,

Marion J Chard

Proud daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek

540th Combat Engineer WWII

www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com

www.6thcorpsmusic.us

If it were the 19th Eng. Reg. (Combat) I have a list of all KIA from Africa till 1945. In Sicily there are only three men listed on the KIA Memorial list. From "D" co. 1st Lt. Ellis, Charles., Jr. Is on the list. There. He was apart of the 19th Eng. Reg. Combat. The other two men were from F co. 2nd Lt. Hanrahan, John F., and 2nd Lt. Withers, Wilson V.

Were these the two men that he might have been with?

I hope this might help out on your research. Maybe you can follow the path of the other two Men and their names. Good Luck

JACE

Michael,

I have some info on the 19th Engineers. I have part of the regimental journals and awaiting the second part which should tell of Lt. Ellis death. I remember seeing his name often in the journal. I would be happy to send you what info I currently have on him and the other when I recieve the rest of the journal.

If it were the 19th Eng. Reg. (Combat) I have a list of all KIA from Africa till 1945. In Sicily there are only three men listed on the KIA Memorial list. From "D" co. 1st Lt. Ellis, Charles., Jr. Is on the list. There. He was apart of the 19th Eng. Reg. Combat. The other two men were from F co. 2nd Lt. Hanrahan, John F., and 2nd Lt. Withers, Wilson V.

Were these the two men that he might have been with?

I hope this might help out on your research. Maybe you can follow the path of the other two Men and their names. Good Luck

JACE

Michael,

I have some info on the 19th Engineers. I have part of the regimental journals and awaiting the second part which should tell of Lt. Ellis death. I remember seeing his name often in the journal. I would be happy to send you what info I currently have on him and the other when I recieve the rest of the journal.

Been corresponding with Gary McDaniel regarding 1st LT Withers.

Thanking you again for your efforts in trying to get a report on the circumstances of lstLt. Withers death (see attached obits) My information is that he died 15 Aug 1943. His marker at the National Cemetery in Grafton, West Virginia shows North Africa...not Sicily as we were all told. From some of the 19th Engineer documents, it appears he was with Company "F".

Do you have any additional info? Sorry to be a pest.

Thanks.

cleardot.gif

Gary McDaniel

Wetumpka, AL

Here are the attachments he sent me. I've combined them into one PDF. And no, I do not have any other information. So sorry.

Lt Withers Obits.pdf