Forums

Full Version: Sidi bou Zid
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Coincidence? Funny how things work out from time to time. James Hennessey just sent me this link tonight, and when I read the first paragraph I kind of shook my head. Why? Well it starts off talking about Sidi bou Zid and February 14th, 1943, the exact date I am reading about right now in the book, An Army at Dawn. Pretty strange.

What's ensues there and in the days ahead at Kasserine Pass, is warfare at it's best and worst. Great days for Rommel, very bad days for the Allies in North Africa. Ask anyone who was there if they lived thorugh it. Bad decisions made by Fredendall, and a huge loss of life. :(:(

http://www.americainwwii.com/stories/facingthefox.htm

Good link...Now that you mention Kasserene Pass & the U.S. armor against Rommel. In 1960, I was with the Embassy in Rome, I met Lex Barker, Tarzan to you movie goers. He was about 6'4", a devout physical nut. I Played golf with him several times. One day I was in the Army PX in Livorno Italy and met Lex. We talked awhile & I asked how he gained entrance to the PX. He replied that he was an armored sergeant at Kasserene Pass, had been wounded, sent home and was discharged with a physical retirement. With all the good care he took he dropped dead while jogging in N.Y. City in the 70"s AL

Yes, it's an excellent link, regardless if you know a lot about the battle or next to nothing. It does a great job to bring it all into perspective. :pdt34::pdt34:

You never cease to amaze me sir with your stories. Gee, Tarzan at the Kasserine Pass. Just read that to hubby. No, neither one of us was aware of that. B)

When I was first attending college at EMU, I began playing board war games. One of the first serious games I played was Africa Korps. Board games are excellent teaching tools and I learned a lot about the North Africa campaign. That's when I became a real Rommel fan. :drinkin:

Great story Al. Love to hear 'em.

Just wanted to add that the link also mentions the 19th Engineer Regiment. That's always nice to see, since as you know, there is very little mention of engineering regiments or battalions in written histories.

When I was first attending college at EMU, I began playing board war games. One of the first serious games I played was Africa Korps. Board games are excellent teaching tools and I learned a lot

Imagine that! Marion is a Gammer of old.

:D

Steve

Oh ya, I confess. It started off playing RISK with my old college buddies, Bob, Rich and Mike. It progressed from there.

Youi know, Axis & Allies, Battle of the Bulge, Afrika Korps, Alexander the Great, Stalingrad, Midway, Squad Leader, Third Reich, Tobruk, etc., etc. Too many to remember off the top of my head. :lol: