Forums

Full Version: A Trip to Paris
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

:pdt::pdt::pdt:

In early November 1944 we got word that a man in our Co. was the remaining survivor and was to be returned to the USA ASAP.

Our BN CO. was a ring-knocker and he said that he had friends in Paris that could expedite this man"s return to the US. He wrote a letter and gave it to an Intel Lt. and said that I could use some R&R so I would be the driver of the jeep.

Upon arrival in Paris,we met what we called a "Snow Ball" MP complete with Class A ODs and some cut down white leggings,white gloves,lanyard and of course the helmet liner with a big MP on the front. He even had a white holster for his .45 on his white "Sam Brown Belt". Passing him he glared and blew his shiny brass whistle and approached with a real look of scorn on his face.

"Trip Ticket soldier" he barked(we didn't wear chevrons) and when I told he we didn't have one he told us to pull over to the side of the street as he was going to "write us up and possibly arrest us".

The Lt. asked him why and he said besides no papers,our dirty jeep had to be washed before entering Paris proper and we were not wearing Class "A's". We were a disgrace to the Army dressed as we were. Muddy boots,dirty ODs,we were also unshaven etc.

The Lt. told him off with some very colorful language and then handed him his Intel ID all the while he was pulling his carbine from the boot he had had attached to his side of the jeep. This LT. I had felt might be a candidate for a Section #8 review and when he stuck the muzzle of the carbine under the MP's chin I knew he was. Again he chewed the MP long wide and deep and said if he didn't back off he was going to squeeze off a round.

I have have no idea how far that MP ran but we then went on our merry way to get the man back to Michigan and I wanted and did get back to our unit without any further incident(s).

Sgtleo