Forums

Full Version: The Oranges
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

:cuss::cuss:

The "Oranges"

I have avoided telling stories about children I met and /or had to deal with in the ETO because to tell you the God's Honest Truth those stories are too painful even today to remember and talk about.

This one isn't maudlin so here goes.

The Krauts had, as many of you know, some very sophisticated submarine facilities at or near Dieppe France. Picture if you will, for those of you who have seen it, the many faceted sphere in EPCOT in Disney World ,FL but very much larger, and underneath at very precise intervals there were entrances for Submarines to dock,rearm etc. The shell was said to be about 6 feet of reinforced concrete with many rebars. Actually, the subs could enter and not be seen from the outside at any angle. The multi-faceted face made it impervious to bombs dropped from any height due to the many,many angles.

The Allies were very interested in this facility and wanted all the Intel they could get so three of us were sent to work with some Canadians to obtain something/anything of value. There was talk that this type of structure could be used to house the Rockets the Krauts were using - thus the interest.

On the way to meet the Canadians we stopped in a tiny auberge(inn) to take ten and have something to drink. We had "moonlight requisitioned" a lot of trading stuff as we had little or no money.We entered this auberge and the couple that ran it were walking on eggs in fear as they had never seen any GIs. While we were drinking our agreed upon two drinks and eating some cheese a little girl of about 5 or 6 came out and stood staring at us. The look in her eye was incredible when we offered her a couple of ORANGES and she called to her mother for permission to take the BALLS the Americans were offering.

That completely broke the mother up and she lost it right there. Astonished, I asked what she was so upset about and after much crying she finally got it out that her daughter had NEVER SEEN a real orange since she was born after the Krauts had taken over. We decided that we would give all the ORANGES to the little girl(6 or 7 as I remember) and then I saw the anxiety on the woman's face and she kept looking at her husband as she asked me what do you want in return. I was only 20 years old but I didn't have to be a rocket scientist to know what she meant. Relief virtually flooded her face when I asked for cognac or for some good wine in trade only.

Laugh if you want but I can still see that little girl holding her mother's hand and waving au revoir to us and I probably always will see her.

Fred: Welcome to the forum. I told you it was a good forum and you can see it first

hand now. Keep posting.

A very poignant story. These are the stories that make this forum what it is. I can understand the mother's surprise, delight, but hesitancy to take ANYTHING from you. Always something was expected in return, and thus her reluctance to accept the fruit that would delight the both of them.

What a sad reflection of the times, qui?

As Joe said, keep those coming. They are precious and we are oh so eager to hear...

:pdt34::pdt34:

Walt's Daughter

Ca c'etais le temps mauvais et le bon temps pour nous!

Nous avons dit a la madam "restez tranquil nous sommes les americains pas de toute comme l'allmande. Votre petitie fille a trouver des amis aujourdhui"

Sgtleo

Mon français est un morceau rouillé, mais je toujours peux comprendre le sens.

Comprenez-vous ?

Bitte Fraulein Was hat Sie Gesaght.

Nicht Verstehen Zie!!!

Felwebel leo

My French is much better than my German. I get the Bitte Frauhlein and a "bitte" ha-ha! of the rest. Seig Heil! :lol::lol:

PLease Lady what did you say?

I don't understand you

Sgtleo

Dummkoff - Auf dien zimmer schnell!!

Indeed, I have read that many children had never seen a piece of fruit during the occupation. How sad for them. It makes me feel bad because when I was a small child I was disppointed when someone would send fruit for Christmas, because of course you could buy it at the store anytime during the year. We take so much for granted now.....

Thanks for sharing.

Brooke

Dummkoff - Auf dien zimmer schnell!!

Schnell, schnell! Quick someone jump in before they haul both of us off. Sgt Leo, I think you and I shall become quick friends. Man, I love your sense of humor. Joe, you may regret introducing us. I feel I have known you for a long time already... :D

Pages: 1 2