Forums

Full Version: 501st Engineer Light Ponton Company
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>your_name: William Wiseman

cityst: Bloomington, MN

through: Search Engine

comments: I have been trying to find out any info about my Dad, Arthur F. Wiseman who was the CO of the 501 army engineers during the invasion of Normandy. He passed away in 1977 and I can't find out anything about the 501 engineers. Can you help me? Thanks!

=============================

Dear William:

This indeed is a tough one. The only thing I was able to determine at this moment in time is that the 501st were a light pontoon company. I found one reference to them regarding building a bridge over the Rhine in Germany. I will scan the page this weekend (I'm going out of town for two days) and get back with you. There's just one line that talks about the 148th Engineers and states that they were to receive help from the 291st and 501st in the Remagen area.

But don't despair, they are many avenues to continue your search for your dad's unit. First off go to my research page and view the links I've provided.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/engforum/index.php?showtopic=23

<i><b>Marion's note: The rest of the letter contained my normal recommendations. I didn't bother to place it here again.</b></i></span>

Here's the page I scanned this afternoon:

501st001.pdf