Forums

Full Version: 1109th Engineers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Hello

It's not all that clear to me if the Topic Title or Topic description accurately describes the genesis of my interest. That is, will what is posted elicit useful information. As might be noticed, this is my first attempt, at posting on a site of this type, so please bear with me.

My research is currently focused on unit histories or any other informed sources that would shed some light on the 250th Engineer Combat Bn during the period 14 August 1943 to 8 December 1943. According to World War II Order of Battle reference book, Authored by Shelby L. Stanton, notes on page 574 that the 250th Engineer Combat Bn was formed on 23 July 1943 at Camp McCoy, Wisconson.

In the Camp McCoy newspaper, The Real McCoy dated 14 August 1943, an article titled 250th Engineers appeared on page 3. The McCoy article stated the "The 250th Engineer Combat Battalion has arrived" and further indicated that the Battalion was "a part of the 1109th Engineer Combat Group of the 17th Detachment, Second Army". The 250th Battalion was under the Command of Major Andrew J. Nehf. The Executive Officer was listed as Captain Joseph W. Wilson. Lt William V. Webb was Adjutant and S-1. The article went on to say that "the Companies of have a full complement of Officers"

A review of the Chronoligical Record of Military Service for Lt William V. Webb indicates that he was Adjutant from 1 June 1943 to 23 September 1943. From 24 September 1943 to 15 October 1943 his duties were that of Assistant Division Engineer (During this period Grade Status for Lt Webb changed on 6 October 1943 to Captain). Captain Webb's final Duty assignment was H/S Company Commander from 16 October 1943 to 8 December 1943. Captain Webb's next Duty assignment was the 168th Engineer Combat Bn.

There several questions that are of interest; 1) To which Divison does the period 24 September to 15 October refer. 2) What is known about unit histories, during the time period above described, of Both the 1109th Engineer Combat Group, the 250th Engineer Battalion. 3) The source of any information that might be useful in understanding the events surrounding the 250th Engineer Combat Bn

It might be of interest to know that I was born at Fort Belvior and my Grand Father, Mothers side, was with the Corps for 30 years.

Marion's note: removed email address from post. Jim just for your info, we don't allow email addy's to be posted on the forum. It's mainly to protect you from idiots and spammers. Members may reach each other via posts, or personal messaging. If anyone outside of the forum wishes to reach you, they can do so through me. This way you retain your privacy.

The 250th

This first one is an obit of someone who recently passed on. Sometimes I and other members have been successful at touching base with the surviving family members. It's always worth a shot. Plus this guy was an officer within the unit.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/rutlandherald/obituary.aspx?n=stanley-p-yankowski&pid=150562407

And here's another...

http://www.thebaynet.com/announcements/index.cfm/fa/viewannouncement/announce_ID/6096/cat/obituaries/type/old

Don't know if these are current, but worth a shot:

250th Engr (Combat) Bn, Co 'A' FRG

Mr. Dale A Derby 515-932-2352

304 N 3rd St

Albia, IA 52531-1318

VFW 5-98

250th Engr (Combat) Bn, Co 'C'

Mr. Bernard M Croteau 702-873-9177

2701 Wyandotte St

Las Vegas, NV 89102-6426

NRR '92

For further info on this unit, you may wish to consult my RESEARCH section. It points to several institutions, which may have army records for the 250th. This includes the Army Corps of Engineer's Office of History, Fort Leonard Wood's history department and NARA, among others.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/engforum/index.php?showtopic=23&st=0#entry37

I hope you have found all this helpful. Please let me know.

If any of our forum members have something to share, please post it here.

Do not have ship at the moment, but gleaned the following info

Departed NY 27 Aug 44

Arrived England 7 Sept 44

Arrived France 26 Sept 44

Found a forum and I am registering in order to post. Looks like one of the gentlemen there, may have morning reports and other documentation for the 250th. Will keep ya posted.

Pages: 1 2